Chapter 65

Chapter 65

Len.

I was sitting on the roof and eating my peanut butter and banana sandwich when Gumi and Yuma suddenly showed up.

"What're you two doing here?" I asked, my mouth full of banana and peanut butter.

Gumi walked towards the ledge. Yuma half-yelped and hooked his arms around hers, holding her back.

"I won't fall," she frowned.

"I'm still afraid that you will!" Yuma muttered. Gumi shrugged and pointed down at the schoolyard.

"Check it out," she said to me. I walked over to the ledge.

"Great, another one to watch over," Yuma mumbled.

"You're always worrying," Gumi backed up slightly as Yuma let go of her. He sighed.

"I'm just careful," he said. The two stood behind me, peering over the edge. Students were huddled in a large mass around a long rope.

"What's going on down there?" I asked, looking at the two.

"They're jumping rope," Gumi grinned.

"Why?"

Yuma shrugged. "For fun?"

Oh. Right, fun. That thing.

"We thought that you might want to come down and jump with us," Gumi said. I shook my head.

"No, it's fine."

I felt the two of them grab me from behind. There really was no point in trying to say no, was there?

"H-Hey!" I yelped as Yuma threw me over his shoulder. Gumi giggled.

"I'm jealous, he hasn't even picked me up like that yet!" She laughed as they carried me down the stairs. I pounded my fists against Yuma's back.

"If I start laughing because of how much that tickles, then we might fall," Yuma said. His voice was mostly flat, but there was a sliver of humour in there somewhere, "And then we'll both die a horrible death and Gumi will be really, really sad."

"Hey, don't say such things!" I heard Gumi say. I groaned. The entire school is jumping rope. It seemed too crazy, and I really didn't feel like being a part of it.

"If you guys are doing this to try and cheer me up, then let me tell you, I was absolutely content with eating my lunch on the roof! Alone!" I yelled as we reached the first floor.

"What's that?" Yuma asked.

"Cheering you up?" Gumi shook her head, "Of course not! We're completely oblivious to you and your current bout of mopiness and depression!"

I groaned. Why was I even trying to reason with them? Yuma put me down once we were in the schoolyard, in front of the rope. Ten students were jumping, all at once, as Miku sang the numbers. She also sang a rather silly jump rope song.

I like ice cream,

I like leeks,

Now, leek flavoured ice cream,

That's a real treat!

Yuma pushed me into the line of jumpers. Instantly, people started cheering for me.

"Jump!" Gumi hollered, cupping her hands around her mouth. I nodded briskly and began to jump in time with Miku's silly rhyme.

Yuma.

Len actually looked like he was having fun. He started smiling after a few jumps, and when the rope stopped because someone in the line had missed a jump, he was full-on grinning.

Gumi tapped me on the shoulder. I bent down so that she could whisper in my ear.

"We have to get Rin!" She said. I nodded and left the front of the crowd.

Rin was hanging around by the edges of the crowd, just as Miku had planned. I walked up to her.

"He's here," I said. Rin nodded.

"Let's go," she said.

Rin.

This was going to end horribly, wasn't it? I kept asking the pessimist in myself that question, but she wouldn't answer. Was there even the slightest chance that all this would end without me and Len engaged in awkward conversation again?

I guess we'll find out soon enough, I thought to myself, watching the rope stop. A student stepped out and Yuma pushed me in. I stood beside Len and did my best to act casual.

"Oh, hey Len!" I grinned as we started to jump.

He kept his eyes on his feet. "Hey," he said quickly.

"What'd you have for lunch?"

He paused. "Take a guess."

"Something with bananas, no doubt," I said. He nodded.

"Peanut butter and banana sandwich," he said, "That's all."

"I had a fruit salad and orange juice!" I smiled. He actually seemed fine so far.

"Yikes!" I yelped, missing a jump. The rope stopped.

"Switch out, Rin!" I heard Miku call. I nodded, smiling at Len.

"See you at the meeting," I said.

He nodded.

Look, I know you guys are angry (with me or Len or both) because he's holding it back, and it's wrong, I know, and it may be testing your patience...but I'm just going to say that it is part of Len's character. He's confused and unsure, and he knows that he is hurting her either way, but what he is afraid of is Rin's reaction to finding out the truth. He really doesn't know how she will take it, and he's clearly not finding himself able to cope with the prospect of having a romantic relationship with his half sister.

Anyway, I hope you'll stick to the story, because it will make sense later, and by later, I mean in the next three chapters or so. I promise you that the outcome will please all or most of you, to some extent.

Anyway, end of rant. Thank you for reading. If you liked it, please vote, and if you've got something to say, comments are, as always, more than welcome. If you're enjoying the story, I'd also be grateful if you told fellow Vocaloid fans and your friends about it. The word 'thank you' does not begin express how much I mean it.

I'll see you next chapter, I hope!