Chapter 44

Chapter 44

Yuma.

I woke up with a start, my alarm clock scaring ten years off of my life. I sat up in bed suddenly after a short yelp of surprise, and once I understood my situation, I turned the alarm clock off and shuffled out of my bed.

I walked into the bathroom and stared at myself in the mirror with a sleepy groan. My hair was all cowlicks, and I didn't waste any time trying to get it to settle down. It was Saturday, and Saturday mornings were showering mornings, at least for me. My hair would be content with that.

I pulled off my clothes and got into the bathtub, shivering and nearly screaming at how cold the water was. It took a while to get the water warmed, but I didn't like standing there naked, with a hand under the tap, waiting for the slightest increase in temperature.

"Mom, I'm up," I called, heading down the stairs. My mother looked at me as she headed to the kitchen. Her hair was a sort of pale, pink blonde, and she kept it tied in a low ponytail that was usually thrown over one shoulder.

"There's something that I like to call 'good morning,' Yuma," she frowned.

"Good morning," I corrected myself. She was just bugging me; I knew that.

"And please, dry your hair."

"But it's summer!" I waved my arms around as I followed her into the kitchen, sitting down on the table in the corner.

"Not yet, it's not," she walked up to the stove and cracked an egg in the frying pan. Sizzling sounds filled the air and my mouth began to water, "Besides, it doesn't have to be cold for someone to catch a cold, you know!"

"Okay, okay," I muttered, "But can we eat first?"

She nodded. "Yeah, no way I'm waiting for you to go dry that mop of yours," she grinned, crossing her arms, "I'm starving!"

"Hey, so am I," I smiled, standing up and getting the dishes out. I helped her set the table as she cooked the eggs.

Once we sat down, we began to eat our breakfast quietly. I prodded the yolk of my egg with a fork.

"How's dad?" I asked slowly, keeping my eyes on my plate. I heard my mother sigh.

"He hasn't called back yet," she whispered, "Still caught up in work. Things aren't..."

"That's not what I wanted to talk about," I interrupted, my voice cold and harsh. I felt bad about using that tone of voice with my mom, but I didn't say anything, "Just wanted to know if he's okay."

"You brought her over here yesterday," my mom said. I looked up at her, eyes wide under my hair.

"That girl, Gumi," she continued. I looked away.

"I don't want to talk about that, either," I muttered.

"So am I only allowed to discuss things that you want to discuss?" My mom raised her voice slightly, "Is that how a conversation works?"

I was quiet. "We just sat and talked," I said, "Nothing else."

She sighed. "I know, Yuma," she said, "I trust you. It's just...you'll only end up hurting her..."

"I still have time!" I slammed my fists against the table and stood up swiftly. My eyes met my mother's, and my gaze softened. Slowly, I sat back down.

"There's...there's still time," I whispered. The hand that held my fork trembled slightly, clinking against my plate.

Of course, I was only lying to myself.

Kaito.

My princess stood in front of me, in the doorway, with her eyes bloodshot and cheeks wet. She wore a light green dress that reached her knees and had full sleeves.

"Miku...," I slowly reached forward with one hand, so that I could pat her shoulder.

Before I could touch her, she began sobbing and threw herself against me, her arms wrapped around my body and her face buried in my chest. I felt the front of my shirt become wet as she sobbed, shoulders shaking.

Slowly, I let my arms wrap over her back and around her figure, pulling her closer. We stood there for a long time, at her doorstep. I held her against me as she cried and cried.

"Do you want to talk about it?" I asked when she stopped. She looked up at me and then turned away.

"Come inside," she said slowly. I followed her into her home.

She headed upstairs, to her room, and I went along.

"I'm going to go wash up," she said. I nodded and sat down on a chair that was in one corner of the room.

Miku.

I locked the bathroom door and turned on the tap. Water began gushing out immensely, with a lot of pressure. I splashed it across my face, my teeth chattering because of how cold it was. I didn't do anything else, and stepped right out of the bathroom with beads of water still rolling down my face.

"Let's go to the park," I said flatly.

Kaito tilted his head slightly, looking concerned. He looked...different that way, when his bangs fell over his eyes. I walked up to him slowly and put my hands on his shoulders.

"What's wrong, Miku?" Kaito asked softly. I almost told him, opening my mouth and then shaking my head.

"No," I whispered, "I can't."

Kaito sighed. "Alright. Let's go. Do you want to change?"

I shook my head. "I don't care anymore," I said, taking his hand and leading him down out of the room. He came along quietly.

Len.

I groaned and put my head against the dining table. Rin did the same thing.

"I'm full," I mumbled. She nodded.

"Too much food?" She asked.

"Too much food," I said, "But it was really good, you know."

"You're flattering," Rin smiled, sitting up straight.

I shook my head. "I'm just honest," I said.

"I know," Rin stood up, "You really do think I'm pretty."

"I-It's just, in this dress, I thought...," I stumbled my way through my sentence. She put a finger against my mouth.

"It's alright," she said, "I figured it out."

My head began to spin. "Er...let's go for that walk," I smiled sheepishly.

Smirking, Rin leaned towards me and planted her mouth against mine for half a second.

"Right," she smiled, pulling away.

Oh my God, finally, you guys get some proper Len x Rin action!
The plot thickens even more! What's on Yuma's mind? Whatever it is, the clock is ticking, and fate seems inevitable...like death, perhaps, in the sense of inevitability?

Please tell your friends and fellow Vocaloid fans about this story! If you're enjoying it, I want them to enjoy it, too! I'd like to expand the audience!

And also, please check out Two Faced Killer. It's my other Vocaloid fanfiction, with slower updates.

Thanks! Vote, comment, share, support! I am grateful for your support!

See you next chapter!