Chapter 12

Chapter 12

Len.

"So, we're partners, then?" I was totally zoned out until Rin said that, "Hello? Len?"

"Hmm?" I said, getting back into the present, "Oh, yeah! Sorry about that."

"Are you feeling okay, Len?" Rin looked at me, worried, "Maybe you should go home and rest for a day."

"No, no, I'm fine!" I insisted, "Just a bit scatterbrained today, that's all."

"In that case, I hope it gets better soon," she smiled, patting my shoulder gently. I couldn't believe this; she seemed to care about me so much. Maybe it was because we were friends, but really, I wanted to be more than just her friend.

"Thanks," I said with a smile, "Now, let's see that sheet..."

Gumi.

I was at my usual spot during lunch that day: by a tree in the corner near the school's entrance. Maybe I should have sat somewhere else, because I really didn't feel like talking to anyone.

I had gotten my English assignment back that morning, and the mark was devastating. Even my teacher was surprised by how much lower it was compared to what I usually got.

"Hey," I heard a voice. I scrunched myself up reflexively at the sound.

Yuma looked down at me, one hand holding a paper bag and the other in his pale pink hair. The bag rustled in his grip as his hold tightened. He looked so huge and intimidating, somehow, with the way he was towering over me.

"What?" I croaked, trying to avoid looking up at him.

"I just want to talk," Yuma smiled sincerely, "Can I sit down?"

His smile had already torn me to bits, so I really couldn't say anything but yes.

He sat down beside me, keeping an eye on the distance between us. I felt my hands freeze up and stopped eating my rice. Inside, I knew I was being self-conscious; what if he thought that the way I ate was kind of gross or something?

I felt his eyes glancing my way every few seconds, but not at all in a lecherous way. I kept my face straight and looked straight ahead at the students in the yard. I felt his gloved fingers against my shoulder, tapping gently.

"Gumi," he said softly, "I'm sorry about yesterday."

"You don't have to be. I've never been happier in my life than after you pulled me so close to you yesterday," Somehow this was easier to say than I had expected it to be.

"Things were moving too fast, though, weren't they?"

"I dunno...," I frowned, "Yuma, why didn't you just...tell me that you liked me?"

Yuma pulled his hat off and scrunched it up in his hands. "The same reason as you," he whispered, taking my hand. I bit my lip as he planted my palm against his face.

"I was afraid," I began with a whimper. Slowly, his hand slipped off of mine and he nodded.

"So was I," he whispered. He pulled open his paper bag and took out a sandwich.

"You don't mind, do you?" He asked.

I shook my head. "Of course not," I said quickly, "It's lunchtime, you're supposed to eat lunch."

"Is that right?" He grinned at me.

I looked down at my rice. "Yeah, I guess I should finish, too," I mumbled, his grinning face eating away at me.

Kaito.

Len didn't come with me to get ice cream that day. He was too busy figuring out his assignment with Rin. I guess that could be considered a good thing, but it also bugged me a little, because the two of us always had ice cream together at lunch. I finished up my taco and started walking around the schoolyard.

And then I saw Miku, sitting on a blanket under a tree, reading some book on the benefits of leeks. I walked up to her, casting my shadow over her and her book.

"What?" She frowned.

"You look hungry, princess!" I clapped my hands together. Her teal pigtails lay in her lap, along with a leek. Suddenly, I got a bit scared that she might smack me with it again.

"I'm not hungry," she insisted, resting her chin against her palm.

"Have you had anything for lunch?" I asked.

"Nope, but that's because I'm not hungry," she frowned.

"Come and have some ice cream with me, princess!" I tugged at her arm.

"I told you this morning, you're going to die young if you eat that much ice cream!" Miku pulled her arm back suddenly and I fell forward.

"Ow...," I slowly got to my knees. I looked down at Miku, who was squished under me, "Sorry, but you shouldn't have pulled so hard."

Miku growled. "Fine," she said through grit teeth, "I'll have ice cream with you."

"Yes!"

"But you have to promise to run all the way back," she raised a finger in the air, still lying on the floor. I was still on top of her, my hands pressed against her leek-print blanket.

"Alone?" I frowned.

"I'll run with you," she smirked, "We'll race. But I'll win, of course."

"Of course," I rolled my eyes as I got to my feet. Miku stood up as well.

Then she smacked me with her leek. I swear, I would've lost my teeth if she'd swung harder!

"What was that for?" I cried, my face burning with pain.

"No rolling your eyes at anyone!" Miku scolded me as if I were a child, "Have some respect, Kaito!"

"Aw, Miku, I was only doing that to you 'cause we're friends," I tried to smile despite the pain. She just scoffed and crossed her arms, following me out of the schoolyard.

The closest I had ever gotten to Miku was when she had tugged her arm out of my grasp back there. It wasn't even deliberate. I just happened to fall over.

She looked even cuter from up close. I didn't even think that was possible.

Mikuo.

I was sitting out by the ice cream truck at lunch, hoping that Kaito would come by. The two of us could have ice cream together, like we used to, but he didn't seem to be around when I got there.

About halfway through lunch, I spotted him arriving, with Miku tagging along. I waved to them, and he waved back.

Miku.

Stupid, clumsy Kaito, falling onto me like that! At least I know he's not the kind to try and pull any sort of moves on girls without their consent, like some kind of dirty old guy. That's the one thing that I liked about him, I guess. It was his one favourable trait. He treated everyone with respect, unlike other guys. He was a doofus, sure, but he was also super friendly. I knew he wasn't going to touch me inappropriately or anything when he fell on me; it was a genuine mistake.

On our way to the ice cream truck, he kept talking about what he called "the wonderful world of ice cream." He acted as if I knew nothing about ice cream! He went over the history and the process, and...it just made my head hurt. I was actually hoping for a bit of a peaceful walk.

And then he started waving to someone in the distance.

"Hey, Mikuo!" He yelled. I blinked at the sound of that name.

"M-Mikuo?" I looked around, "Where?"

"See, right there," Kaito put a hand on my shoulder as we walked over to Mikuo, who looked at me and nodded.

"Hey, Miku!" He smiled a sort of goofy smile, pushing his hair out of his eyes, "How're you feeling?"

At that point, I had begun to feel rather faint.