Chapter 28

Chapter 28

Gumi.

When I left home that morning, Yuma was outside, waiting for me. Immediately, I felt ashamed.

"Hey," he smiled, waving.

"Oh my gosh, how long have you been here?" I sputtered, "If I had known you were waiting, I would've hurried up!"

I walked down the steps and up to him. He ruffled my hair and I pulled his hand out.

"I just combed it," I frowned.

"I'd wait a thousand years if I had to, Gumi," Yuma said, "Now come on, let's get to school."

I buried my hands in my pockets and walked alongside him. "That's sweet," I mumbled.

"Must've been that slice of cake I had last night," he muttered. I punched him in the shoulder playfully.

"You never run out, do you?" I asked.

"Run out of what?" He looked down at me. We stopped walking.

"Things to say," I said slowly, mesmerized by the way his golden eyes glinted in the springtime sun, "You never run out of things to say..."

Gently, Yuma pressed his hands against my face and kissed my forehead slowly and sweetly. I stood still as a statue, completely frozen and melted, all at once. As he pulled back, I was still staring into his eyes.

He smirked and rapped his knuckles against my forehead. "Gumi, you in there?"

"Huh?" I blinked, "Oh...yeah, I'm totally...here. I guess."

"How about we run?" He offered, "That'll make you feel better, right?"

I nodded. That was bound to work. Yuma had out such a spell on me, and the only way I could truly break free and return to reality was by doing what I did best.

The two of us ran to school, Yuma huffing behind me.

Miku.

"The world is mine, the world is mine!" I muttered under my breath as I rode my bike to school at insane speeds, "The world is mine, and I'm the princess..."

So why was I feeling so rattled by Kaito's words? Obviously, he was just kidding around, I mean, he's just a goofball. If a guy likes a girl, he doesn't wait ten years to tell her! Right?

Why was I doubting myself? I grit my teeth. Even if Kaito wasn't joking around, that was too bad. I had my sights set on Mikuo, and nobody was going to change that.

Even if Mikuo was pretty much completely oblivious to the fact that I liked him. Even if it was probably just a crush.

"Oh my God, Miku, you're so pathetic!" I yelled to the sky.

Rin.

The pancakes that Len had made were amazing! I really couldn't believe that he had never made pancakes before.

"Maybe you've got a natural talent for cooking," I grinned as we left my home, "Just like with singing!"

Len chuckled. He was always so modest, "Maybe it was just a fluke?"

"Flukes don't make ten perfect pancakes, mister!" I smacked him on the shoulder playfully, "You're coming to my house for breakfast every day from now on!"

"If you put it that way, I really can't say no," Len said.

After that, we became quiet, walking down the street with trees casting their shadows over us. Sunlight occasionally passed through the cracks and fell on us. I smiled to myself, thinking about how summer was just around that corner. We'd have our concert at the Song of Summer then. I'd perform with Len, some song we hadn't even decided on yet. And then school would end and summer would begin.

"Are you okay, Rin?" Len's voice was gentle and quiet. I turned to look at him, his eyes were filled with worry and concern.

I smiled. Something about having him around me made me feel safe and confident, almost, as if he was some part of me that I was missing all this time. I slung an arm over his shoulder and walked with him.

"Just thinking about summer," I said with a tinge of sadness in my voice.

"What's wrong with the summer?" His voice was quiet, just loud enough for the two of us. I glanced at him, then down at the ground.

"I dunno, it's just...I have mixed feelings about school ending," I said, "You spend an entire year with friends, in and out of classes, and then all of a sudden...you stop seeing each other. If you stop contacting your friends, chances are, you'll drift apart."

Len smiled. I felt my heart skip a beat. "That's why we stay in touch with our friends, right?"

I felt my face take on a shade of pink. Len took my free hand in his as we continued to walk.

"I promise, I'll come and have breakfast with you even in the summer!" He laughed. His laughter was contagious; I started to laugh, too.

"Yeah, and then we can go to the park or maybe the zoo," I counted the places on my fingers, "And to the beach..."

We continued counting, stopping only once we were in class. I sat in my seat and wrapped my arms around myself.

I had never had a friend quite like Len.

*out of breath* That was a long chapter! I just kept writing and writing...
Hope you enjoyed! Thanks for reading! There's more to come!