Chapter 157: Extra - Uncle Salted Fish Tells A Story

After the evil lord of the evil cultivator world died, the evil cultivators all grew quiet and didn’t dare to appear again.

Some storytellers earned a lot of money by narrating in teahouses and restaurants how the ten major sects battled the evil cultivator lord. They spoke of great dangers and miraculous actions. Spirit Master Zhong Xi and Celestial Kong Hou became reincarnations of immortals that came down to rescue the people. Many people thought that when the two reached fulfillment in their merit, they would return to the heavenly palace and become an immortal couple to be admired.

Uncle Salted Fish fanned away the flies in the room with his tattered fan. He looked up at the burning sun and closed his shop doors to return to his little courtyard. When he reached the courtyard door, he saw the two young people standing there. He turned his head and walked away in disdain.

“Uncle, Uncle.” Kong Hou appeared in front of Uncle with a smile. “It’s so hot today. I brought fresh spirit fruits. They’ll be perfect to eat with some sugar and ice.”

“Speak—what do you want?” Uncle Salted Fish looked at the corner of his clothing that was being pulled. He had no temper left. He pulled his sleeve out of Kong Hou’s hand and pushed open the gates to let the two into his room.

The sun was bright and hot but the courtyard was cool. The parts of the courtyard where there had been flowers and grass had been dug up for a large pool filled with water. The pool had no other beings in it and looked empty.

The three sat down by a stone table. Kong Hou took out three bowls of fruit ice and gave one to Uncle Salted Fish.

“You two have no other place where to go?” Uncle held the bowl and crunched down on the ice. “You come here to visit me each year.”
Kong Hou did not argue. She smiled and shared the delicious food in her storage ring. People like Uncle Salted Fish had more honest bodies than tongues.

“This pool is so empty. Why don’t you raise a few fish?” Kong Hou saw the water was clear to the bottom and it made her feel as though she wanted to jump in and swim.

“No.” Uncle ate Kong Hou’s food. “I sell dried fish—I cannot raise live fish.” This was his professional honor.

“Oh.” Kong Hou moved her gaze away with slight pity. “Today, there is a food festival. Let’s go eat delicious food together.”

Uncle looked at Kong Hou silently.

“My treat.” Kong Hou hurriedly added.

“Let’s go.” Uncle Salted Fish was very satisfied with Kong Hou’s perceptiveness.

As food friends, Kong Hou and Uncle Salted Fish were very skilled at tasting delicious food. At times like this, Huan Zhong’s biggest use was to help pay for Kong Hou and Uncle Salted Fish.

To attract visitors from all over the cultivation world, Harmonious City would hold a food festival each year. Every year at this time, Harmonious City would be exceptionally busy and the city would be full of people from other places.

Some flying sword messengers would carry one or two ordinary people on their swords when they delivered parcels in order to make extra money on the side. If ordinary people could afford it, they could also just carry people and no parcels.

There would be a way to make money anywhere there were people. For Harmonious City in these few days, there were many people, flying talismans, and even flying sword messengers. The inns in the city, and all the places in people’s houses where people could lodge, were filled. Some of the sects on good terms with Splendid Cloud Sect even used the excuse of discussing the path to come to Splendid Cloud Sect to stay.