Chapter 96: Joint Interment

“Master?” Lin Hu pushed open the door and entered. He saw a panicked expression on Huan Zhong’s face and had a bad feeling. He had followed Master for several centuries and had rarely seen Master panic.

“Kong Hou’s soul left her body.” Huan Zhong took out a soul summoning lantern from his storage ring and said, “Stand guard for me.”

Lin Hu stood next to the bed and inspected. As expected, soul dispossession. But Miss Kong Hou had been all right. Why would something like this suddenly occur? Had someone cast a spell? He couldn’t help but think of the evil cultivator formation master who had made the Withering of Ten Thousand Bones formation. But this was not the time to pursue that matter. Seeing Master using his heart’s blood to light the soul summoning lamp, he said in a panic, “Master, you…”

The soul summoning lantern lit up. Mist rose inside the room. Huan Zhong’s fingers moved. “Yin yang two poles, listen to my order—soul return!”

The window suddenly opened, and a wild wind blew the leaves in the courtyard. Huan Zhong did not lift his head and waved a hand to block the incoming wind. The soul summoning lantern did not move a thread.

“Today, I do not care who is committing evil here. Even if I have to chase you to the end of the world, I will not spare you.” Huan Zhong waved his hand to close the window and then gripped with his hand in the air. A bell made from spirit energy formed in his hand. He waved it slightly and it gave off a clear chime.

“Where is the chiming coming from?” The crown prince who was helping Emperor Jinghong take care of matters looked around. The chime was so strange, as though it was a sound which should not exist in the mortal realm.

Emperor Jinghong stood. Just as he opened the window, the wind blew mightily, gusting through the palace streets and giving off an ear-piercing howl. Leaves hit Emperor Jinghong’s face. He took two steps back and motioned for the eunuch to close the window.

“Do not go out.” Emperor Jinghong thought for a long time. “Order the captain of the imperial guard to protect the palace Immortal Kong Hou is residing in. If anything suspicious nears it, do not let it enter.

“Remember—anything, not just people.” As an emperor, Emperor Jinghong had a perceptive judgement towards extraordinary matters.

“Father-Emperor, has something happened?” The crown prince was slightly worried.

“It is something we cannot participate in.” Emperor Jinghong thought of much more. What he worried most was Immortal Kong Hou had disobeyed the heavens by helping the people and the punishment was now coming.

##

“Discovered?” In a hidden black cave, the formation master looked at the cracked clay statue on the stone table. He threw the statute to the side and snorted. He plucked a hair and wrapped it around another statue.

“Strange…” Kong Hou looked at the mist in the surroundings and decreased her flight speed. This thick mist which suddenly appeared was suspicious and seemed to be deliberately stopping her.

She was in her soul state and could not use many of the talismans she had. She could only summon her lifebond Phoenix Head talisman. She gripped Phoenix Head in her hand as she walked forward.

The long small path seemed endless. Kong Hou could only hear her footsteps.

She could only see this one path, but was this path the correct one?

Kong Hou stopped walking and sat down where she was. With Huan Zhong and Elder Lin protecting her body, they would definitely find something was wrong with her given their powerful cultivation.