Chapter 56: Misfortune

The flying palace left the borders of Yan City and flew into the clouds, leaving the mountains, rivers, and clouds all underneath it. Kong Hou stood by the banister. Through the boundary, she looked at the white clouds under her feet, and the mountains and rivers flickering in and out of view between the clouds

When someone stood at a tall height, the mountains and rivers looked minuscule. This easily made people feel as though they had conquered the world. But the mountain was still that mountain, the river still that river—no one could conquer them. They were born in the world and would disappear in the world.

Kong Hou looked at the blue sky. That place was so vast. What was hidden behind the blue? The immortal world that cultivators dreamed about—was that another realm people had not encountered?

Some people said that cultivation was to go against destiny and to fight against the universe. Kong Hou’s viewpoint was the opposite. They did not cultivate by fighting with the universe; they followed the universal path, they made their bodies and minds one with the universe. They would be accepted by the universe and ascend into immortality. The spirit energy they drew into their body came as a gift from the universe. The materials they took to make talismans came from the universe. All they relied on was given by the universe. Where did fighting against the universe come from?

Huan Zhong walked to her side, his body giving off a faint yet pleasing medicinal fragrance. Kong Hou looked sideways at him. “Why are you not resting in your room?”

“I saw you standing here for a long time from the window.” Huan Zhong looked at the white clouds below. “You are worried about Auspicious Pavilion?”

Kong Hou shook her head and pointed at the blue sky above them. “I am looking at the sky.”

Huan Zhong looked up at the sky, his eyes reflecting the clear pure blue.

“Just now, I had a strange thought. Us cultivators are always used to flying and standing up high as though everything is in our control—” Kong Hou put her hand on the cool jade banister “—but we are just one of many living beings.”

Huan Zhong looked in shock at Kong Hou. He had not thought that she, at such a young age, had the thoughts of comprehending the path. In comprehending the path, the most important part was comprehension itself. No one could teach this, or were able to, as the path was in the mind. Apart from oneself, no one could easily affect the path in other people’s minds.

Some cultivators were unable to comprehend their path even until they passed away. So people frequently said that if they could comprehend, even their death would be worth it. Kong Hou’s talent and mental state for cultivation was both a joyful surprise and worrisome.

“Kong Hou, I am a sword cultivator. To me, the most important is the sword. With the sword, I can exterminate all evils and demons, and stand on top of the world.” Huan Zhong put his hands behind his back and looked down on the ground with a calm expression. “I am the sword, the sword is me; where my mind thinks, my sword points—this is my sword path.”

A light seemed to flash through Kong Hou’s mind but then this feeling immediately faded. She looked with slight bewilderment at Huan Zhong. She felt as though there was a path in front of her, but she still hadn’t found the key to opening the door.

“Do not rush some things. When the opportunity comes, all questions will be resolved.” Huan Zhong took out a beautiful storage ring. “There is something I have not given you yet.”

“Storage ring?” Kong Hou took the ring. This was an ownerless storage ring. She looked with puzzlement at Huan Zhong. “Why give this to me?”

“A few days ago, my master heard you and I were travelling together so he prepared a gift for you. Inside are some items that women frequently use. Take a look—do you like any of them?” Huan Zhong had been searching for a chance to give what the Sky Sect’s shopkeeper had given him to Kong Hou, but he hadn’t found an excuse until now. Seeing Kong Hou was unhappy at not comprehending the path, he stopped thinking of excuses and took out these things that women would like in order to make her happy.