Chapter 4: New Year's Red Envelopes

The apprentices walked uneasily near Wang Tong and found that Master’s presence was extremely strange. Even more concealed than usual, so that people… could not sense his strength.

Kong Hou turned around and saw two young men staring at her. She hid the rabbit behind her back, and looked silently at them with wariness. As the stars continued to fall from the sky, the atmosphere turned heavy.

Seeing the female child in Master’s arms, Cheng Yi and Tan Feng gaped. Master had gone to the mortal world to experience his heart ordeal—why did he kidnap and bring back a child? Cheng Yi was slightly older than Tan Feng and more mature. He moved forward, bowed and said, “Apprentice respectfully welcomes Master’s return.”

“Good apprentices, you came.” Wang Tong saw his two apprentices and threw the bone in his hand on the ground. He stood up and put his hands behind his back as he scanned the two apprentices. “In the years this master was gone, you have had breakthroughs. It seems that you have not slacked off. Good, very good.”

The two apprentices looked at the chewed bones on the ground. “We do not dare to forget Master’s teachings.”

“Yes.” Wang Tong nodded in satisfaction. He moved to caress his snowy-white beard when he remembered the oil on his hand and put his hand down. Cheng Yi took out a handkerchief and handed it to Wang Tong. Wang Tong did not move after he took out the handkerchief but looked with a smile at Tan Feng.

Tan Feng dug inside his sleeve and also produced a handkerchief.

As a generous master, Wang Tong unhesitatingly shared a handkerchief with Kong Hou. After she wiped her hands clean, he said, “These are your two shixiong 1. Eldest Shixiong Cheng Yi, and Second Shixiong Tan Feng.”

Hearing this, Kong Hou stood up straight and bowed towards the two. “Kong Hou greets Shixiong.” She peeked at the two shixiong. Eldest Shixiong Cheng Yi had a handsome and mature appearance while Second Shixiong Tan Feng had white skin and a friendly smile.

“This is the apprentice this master took in the mortal world, Kong Hou. After we return, we will divine a good day for an apprenticeship ceremony, and have her enter my sect.”

Cheng Yi and Tan Feng felt slightly strange that Master would suddenly bring back a young girl from the mortal world, but they did not ask more in front of the child, afraid she would think too much. Cheng Yi bent down, bringing his gaze to the same level as Kong Hou. “Greetings, Little Shimei.”

“Greetings, Shixiong.” Kong Hou relaxed her grip on Wang Tong’s clothing and smiled at Cheng Yi.

“I did not know that Little Shimei was coming today, so Tan Feng and I did not prepare any gifts. Little Shimei, do not blame us.” Cheng Yi appeared to be in his twenties, but actually, he was more than a hundred years old. He had a natural affection for young and adorable creatures.

“No problem.” Kong Hou touched the empty pouch at her waist. “I did not prepare any gifts either.”

“Your Eldest Shixiong and I are more than a century old—how can we accept gifts from a child like you?” Tan Feng bent down and spread his arms open for Kong Hou. “It is a busy night. Let’s go, Second Shixiong will take you shopping.”

Kong Hou was moved, but her feet stood still. She turned to look at Wang Tong.

“Go.” Wang Tong smiled and nodded. Kong Hou then slowly moved towards Tan Feng, and Tan Feng picked her up.

Kong Hou covered her face. “Second Shixiong, I’m almost ten.” Ever since she was six, she had never let anyone pick her up. It was then that the Ji Family’s dynasty had been overthrown. She, a dispensable princess of the former dynasty, could not afford to be picky. During the banquet, due to her emotions, she hadn’t felt anything when Master had picked her up. Now she had calmed down and felt slightly embarrassed.