Chapter 47: Mind Activation Stage

The ordeal clouds grew denser, as though they were about to become tangible and pound down from the sky. The cultivators who had only planned to watch gripped their talismans, sweat soaking their backs.

Under the ordeal clouds, Huan Zhong did not move in the courtyard. His eyes narrowed slightly, and with a wave of his right hand, he clasped his lifebond sword in his hand. The sword trembled slightly in his hand, its energies spreading as it gave off a roar like a dragon. The wind blew at his robe, the snowy-white cloth twisting and turning golden in the sunset.

“Master.”

Huan Zhong held up a hand and interrupted Lin Hu’s words. He said without looking, “No need to speak.”

Lin Hu pressed his lips together. “Yes.” He took out his own lifebond sword. He looked towards the ordeal clouds, his clothing flapping in the wind. At this moment, he hoped more than anything that Miss Kong Hou could safely pass the dream ordeal. He turned back and looked at the other cultivators holding their talismans. These cultivators were mostly in Base Building and Mind Activation Stage. Usually, he would think nothing of these people because they were too minuscule and ordinary.

But these ordinary cultivators were willing to stand up at this moment and expend spirit energy for someone unrelated to them. Lin Hu felt both surprised and moved.

Did cultivation really represent everything?

In the palace, the snarling emperor and the terrified officials seemed to be separated by a curtain of water. She and they seemed to be standing in two different worlds. Kong Hou extended a hand to touch the water curtain. Her hand passed through the water curtain and only touched emptiness.

There was nothing behind the water curtain—no golden palace, no emperor, no officials. She stood in the void, a grey world stretching out endlessly around her.

Thunder sounded. She raised her head and saw a bolt of lightning heading towards her like a giant dragon. The face of the giant dragon was the snarling face of her father-emperor.

She had learned not to be terrified, she had received love, and learned it. As a cultivator, one did not need just braveness—they also needed to feel love for the world. When she understood this, Kong Hou summoned her lifebond talisman Phoenix Head, and collided with the lightning.

Boom!

The ordeal lightning struck down, the giant waves of air blowing hard past everyone. Huan Zhong looked at the sky and raised his sword. Base Building to Mind Activation Stage. If one passed safely, the Heavens would only send down one ordeal lightning bolt. If one had an unstable mental state, three would come down. When these three strikes came down, the majority of cultivators would not be able to withstand them. Their spirit platforms would be destroyed, or they would die. The elders of some sects would protect disciples during their ordeal. If the disciple could not hold on, the elder would take on the ensuing two strikes for the disciple. This way, even if the disciple did not successfully pass the ordeal, they could keep their spirit platform and their life.

After the first order lightning bolt came down, everyone entered a battle state. The black clouds twisted in the sky, lightning flashing as though it was gathering power for a strike. Everyone felt pity. They did not know how long the path friend who was experiencing this ordeal would need to recover afterward.

Seeing the second bolt of lightning about to come down, Huan Zhong flew onto the roof.

The wind rose, and only the last ray of light was left of the sunset.

The second bolt of lightning brewed for a long time but did not strike down. It turned into a burst of wind mixed with the virtue rain. Soon all of Yi City was shrouded by the rain.