Chapter 77: Limelight

Apart from the sword cultivators, the sound cultivators were the most powerful cultivators in terms of destructive power. However, the demands on a cultivator were strenuous. While the damage caused was terrifying, the biggest problem for cultivators who did not have enough cultivation was their spirit energy would be used up rapidly. With Kong Hou’s present cultivation, she could control Phoenix Head well, but not for very long.

It could be said that sound cultivators were fragile and pitiful things in the early stages of cultivation, but after they finally reached Mind Manifestation, if they acted, they were devils that could kill masses in one blow. However, in the entire cultivation world, the number of sound cultivators was not higher than the cooking cultivators. Sound cultivation required great talent from its cultivators. It was not the cultivator choosing sound cultivation, but sound cultivation choosing it. So there were only a rare few that cultivated sound. In the last few centuries, the number of sound cultivators that reached Mind Manifestation was… zero.

Kong Hou pretended not to hear Ling Bo’s words. She looked at the succubi coming from all directions and her fingers plucked lightly on the chords.

She did not like her father-emperor being obsessed with music and letting treacherous ministers control the court. She once even felt extremely negative about music. But now she understood. Music was innocent, the instruments were innocent—her father-emperor was the only one in the wrong.

The succubi liked the negative emotions of humans the best. Terror, jealousy, hate, regret, and sorrow were their most delicious food.

The sound of music rose. This was a relatively simple song among Kong Hou’s repertoire. The tune held joy and good wishes. This was the only song that she, at six years old, learned before the Ji Dynasty was overthrown.

She had not learned this song for herself but to gain the favor of her father-emperor. But before she could perform in front of her father-emperor, Emperor Jinghong had fought his way in with his soldiers. From then on, she never played the kong hou again.

A person who did not understand joy or bringing joy to others could not play this song.

But she understood now, and had put down the past.

The simple tune spread, carrying powerful spirit energy. The succubi scattered in all directions like uncontrolled flies. But where could they hide? There was sound in the wind, sound in the woods, and sound even in the small cracks of the darkness.

Great numbers of succubi turned to black smoke and disappeared. Playing Phoenix Head, Kong Hou’s fingers did not stop on the strings and the music carried a great distance.

Ling Bo stood dazedly with her sword as she remembered many things. The beautiful dress Master had bought her when she first came to Clear Dawn Sect; how Master and the shixiong had praised her as the most talented cultivator in the cultivation world next to Spirit Master Zhong Xi when she successfully drew energy into her body; Sect Eldest Disciple who abided by the rules secretly bringing her the honey drink she liked when she had returned to the sect last time and had been punished with house arrest.

Ever since she joined Clear Dawn Sect, so many insignificant but happy events had occurred.

The song ended, and the succubi had disappeared completely. After an unknown amount of time, Ling Bo recovered. She slowly looked at Kong Hou. Kong Hou had turned her lifebond talisman back into a hairpin and pushed it once more into her hair.

“Kong Hou…” Looking at Kong Hou again, Ling Bo felt stunned. This control over a lifebond talisman did not seem like one a cultivator who had just reached Mind Activation Stage should possess. What terrifying talent was this?