Chapter 64: Secret Realm

Chu Ji Xuan shrank in the corner of the carriage and started to doubt his life. He was born noble, he had the love of his father-emperor, and even the court officials were exceptionally polite to him because he had a spirit base. From birth until now, his twenty-first year, he lived as though he was the center of the universe.

This was the first time he had embarrassed himself so greatly. And the person he had embarrassed himself in front of was someone he had to curry favor with. Before coming to Auspicious Pavilion, Father-Emperor mentioned to him that their branch of the family had been moved under the name of that ancestor. So Spirit Master Huan Zhong could be considered his ancestor in name—though he suspected the validity of this adoption, and this great-grandfather did not know of this matter at all.

Also, he was puzzled. The ancestral records had not even left behind the name of his great-grandfather. Had the ancestors been worried that people with bad intentions would use his great-grandfather’s name maliciously so they erased the name?

Huan Zhong did not treat Chu Ji Xuan warmly. In Kong Hou’s opinion, Huan Zhong was warmer to the disciples of Radiance Sect than to this imperial prince.

The flying carriage moved quickly. In just two hours, they left the borders of Feng City. Kong Hou lifted the curtain and looked at the horses that flew through the air. She took out two spirit fruits from her storage ring and handed them to Chu Ji Xuan. “If you go alone to Five Flavors Manor, what about Miss Ru Yi?”

“A year ago, a celestial of Water Moon Sect found Ru Yi had fate with cultivation and took her as the first student. She and I are childhood sweethearts and have almost never been separated. If I do not join a sect and cultivate, I fear Ru Yi will give up a good opportunity for me.” Chu Ji Xuan held the spirit fruit and was too embarrassed to take a bite in front of his elders. “Who does not want to live longer, and live better? But I fear that she will lose all those close to her through the years, and no one will keep her company.

“I do not bear for her to be lonely and sad, so I will cultivate with her and live longer.” Chu Ji Xuan smiled. “I do not fear Celestial will laugh at me. Before coming, I was already prepared to embarrass myself. I did not expect to have the good luck to encounter Great-Grandfather.”

While Kong Hou did not understand the love between men and women, she could see Chu Ji Xuan’s sincere love. “It is good you think like this.”

She thought that the men of the imperial family were either like her father-emperor, completely indifferent to women, or were like Emperor Jinghong with his crowds of concubines. She had not expected there were people who treated their love seriously.

Hearing Kong Hou praise him, Chu Ji Xuan smiled bashfully. “Being able to accompany one’s love is the most beautiful thing in the world.”

He did not desire longevity, but to accompany the person he loved longer.

The cry of birds sounded outside the carriage. Kong Hou lifted the curtain. The mountains were snowy white. The pear trees had bloomed.

“So beautiful.” She leaned against the window and looked dazedly at the mountain covered in pear blossoms, ignorant of the petal falling gently on her hair. Huan Zhong looked at her profile and reached out to pick up that flower petal.

A faint fragrance entered his nose. He did not know if the fragrance came from the flower or from the young girl admiring the flowers.

“Great-Grandfather.” Chu Ji Xuan saw Huan Zhong’s calm expression, gathered his courage and said, “Have you lived well these years?”

“After I left the imperial palace, nothing was bad anymore.” Huan Zhong stared at Chu Ji Xuan for a long time. “You are a descendant of Third Brother?”