Chapter 31: Gift

Seeing Huan Zhong seemingly unable to react, Kong Hou immediately realized: Huan Zhong was afflicted with illness, and may not have interacted much with disciples of his sect. He might not even know who she was referring to with her spare description.

“That Spirit Master Zhong Xi who has reached Mind Dividing cultivation at three hundred years old, who is able to topple mountains and overturn seas with a sword strike.” Kong Hou looked at Huan Zhong pleadingly. “Do you have any impression of him?”

“Is… is there something wrong with him?” Huan Zhong and Kong Hou sat down at a nearby table, the silent Lin Hu pouring two cups of tea for them.

“He is nine feet tall—is the door of his cave residence higher than other disciples’?” Kong Hou held her teacup, her voice curious. “I’ve never seen someone so tall, and I’m just a bit curious.”

“Nine feet tall, eyes like lightning…” Huan Zhong looked at Kong Hou, his brows furrowing slightly. He became slightly melancholy. “Who told you he looked like that?”

“Everyone says it. Supposedly, this Spirit Master Zhong Xi is so ferocious that enemies will wet themselves…” Kong Hou felt that the words were not elegant so she changed her words. “—will go weak in the knees in fright. He is the strongest cultivator in the last thousand years. Harmonious City has books specifically about Spirit Master Zhong Xi. They sell very well.”

“What else?” Huan Zhong asked.

“What else?” Kong Hou stilled. She thought back to how that book had described Spirit Master Zhong Xi. “And that he can fight one against five, and can kill above his cultivation stage; that he is very strong. Just that… his appearance is average.”

With a bam, the teacup in Lin Hu’s hand fell to the table. He picked up the teacup with a stiff expression. “Apologies, my hand slipped.”

Kong Hou lent her handkerchief to him. She turned and asked Huan Zhong, “Are you on good terms with this Spirit Master Zhong Xi?”

Huan Zhong slowly shook his head.

Kong Hou sighed in relief and felt that this conversation could continue. “Nine feet tall means he is much taller than us, and his bones will be especially thick. His eyes are as big as bells. If he can make enemies weak at the knees in fear, it means that he is not good-looking. Therefore, the experiences of Spirit Master Zhong Xi tell us one thing.”

“What?” Lin Hu who was wiping the table turned to look at her.

“The heavens are fair. He possesses talent that all cultivators admire, but the heavens will shortchange him on his appearance.” Kong Hou’s voice was full of regret. “People who are good-looking and also talented are really rare in this world.”

Huan Zhong laughed upon hearing this. “Then you are definitely the exception.”

“Huh?” Kong Hou stilled and then she smiled, “Huan Zhong, you are complimenting me for being good-looking?”

Huan Zhong nodded with a small smile. This smile was so good-looking that no matter what he said, other people would feel that he was full of sincerity.

Propping her face on her hands, Kong Hou said, “So the heavens gave me a terrible father. If Master had not brought me to the cultivation world, right now, I would have been married off in a peace treaty, or I would be praying in a monastery. Those would be the best outcomes. Maybe I wouldn’t even have had a chance to survive to adulthood.”

When Emperor Jinghong won the hearts of the people, she, a mascot of the previous dynasty, would become dispensable. Even if she died of illness, that would not attract any attention.