Chapter 102: Fault

Kong Hou separated from Huan Zhong and ran to the Food Hall.
The disciples of the Food Hall were happy to see Kong Hou and recommended the new foods they had made to her. Kong Hou scanned the line of strange things and picked some pastries that looked delicious.

“Grand Shishu…” A man dressed in clean blue robes looked up from a large wok, his face covered in sweat from the smoke and fire. Kong Hou looked for a while to recognize that this was Huan Zhong’s descendant of an unknown number of generations, Chu Ji Xuan. Hadn’t he joined Five Flavors Manor? Why was he in the food hall of Splendid Cloud Sect?

“Ji Xuan.” Kong Hou smiled at him and nodded. “How are you here?”

“In order to increase our pursuit of the cooking path, the disciples of the manor will take turns in the food hall of your honored sect.” Chu Ji Xuan smiled and was clearly content with Splendid Cloud Sect’s food hall. “Your honored sect has a variety of ingredients, the path friends are all friendly, and the disciples all respect cooking cultivators. The manor disciples all like taking their shifts here.”

After joining his sect, he knew the status of the cooking cultivators was not high. But the disciples of Splendid Cloud Sect were different, and never slighted him for being a new disciple. No matter the time, if they met him, they would warmly and politely greet him and would give him all kinds of good ingredients.

The elder disciples frequently said it was only after joining Splendid Cloud Sect that they truly knew what it was like for a guest to feel at home and to be respected.

As cooking cultivators, their favorite compliment was that their diners had a great appetite for the food they worked to make.

“Your great grand uncle has come. If you have time, go see him.” Kong Hou saw it was almost time for the noon meal and knew they were about to become busy. “I will first bring him some pastries to taste.”
“Grand Shishu, wait.” Chu Ji Xuan glanced at the pastries in Kong Hou’s tray and added a few more. He said delicately, “These several are very welcomed by your honored sect’s disciples.”

Kong Hou immediately understood and put back the pastries she had taken before.

After a long time, her shixiong and shijie‘s pursuit of the culinary path was even more unusual.

“Is Great Grand Uncle still well?” Chu Ji Xuan wiped his hands embarrassedly.

Kong Hou nodded and said with a smile, “He is very good. Do you want to go with me to see him?”

“That is good.” Chu Ji Xuan nodded dazedly but then quickly shook his head. “I will not disturb Great Grand Uncle.” After joining Five Flavors Manor, he had sent a letter back to his father-emperor and mother-empress. His father-emperor’s reply had mentioned the secrets of the court from several hundred years ago. He had learned that Great Grand Uncle and the Chu Family did not have harmonious relations.

Father-Emperor emphasized that if he met Great Grand Uncle, he could not disturb the other or incur his dislike. The Chu Family had been in the wrong back then.

“What does nodding and shaking your head mean?”

“I…” Chu Ji Xuan shook his head. “This junior means that Great Grand Uncle has come a long way, and this junior will not disturb his rest.”

Kong Hou did not press and nodded to indicate her understanding. She turned and saw some disciples coming in, talking and laughing. She said, “I will bid farewell. You are busy.”

“Grand Shishu, farewell.” Chu Ji Xuan bowed. After joining Five Flavors Manor for several months, his conduct had matured compared to their initial meeting.