Earned It .

Josiah 'Retro' Bennett

I had been ignoring him and avoiding him since i had heard he was home . I was quite ready to face him or talk to him . The last time we had talked my face held stained tears on my cheeks . And a broken heart .

The man i had loved since we were kids , had left . And he did it with no regret . The moment he left , i made a promise that , that was the last time i'd ever put my all into someone . It's hard putting on this persona that i didn't care because deep down i did . And i wished i could just see his smile and hear his laugh again .

I had given up on love years ago . There was no such thing as real love to me anymore . Why ? Because the one person i thought truly loved me and genuinely cared for me left me . And he never looked back .

It hurt even worse knowing he didn't reach out , or even try calling . But i guess shit happens right ? I mean after all these years i'm sure he had moved on , and found him someone new . Someone better .

Retro was someone that all of Memphis knew not to play with . They also knew that no matter how long he was gone , these were still his streets and his people . He held power over everyone . Well everyone but me .

I was tired of my friends trying to tell me to just talk to him and see what was truly going on , but i didn't have the energy for it . He left me , and that was something i could never forget . All those nights i couldn't sleep . All those nights and days spent crying . All those nights i had waited up to see if maybe just maybe he'd come back , he never did .

And i also think what hurt the most was the fact he hadn't even tried to talk to me or come see me since he's been back . I was over it , and deep down it was time to move on .

It was another beautiful day in Memphis and i was heading over to my best friends house considering we had planned to hangout , and go to Reggie's party . Reggie threw the best parties in Memphis and since we've know him since we were kids growing up together we figured we'd go .

I had brought a couple of the outfits i had made with me , knowing kami would want to borrow one as always . But what are besties for right ?

——-

"So you think Retro ass gon be here ?" she asked as we took our last pregame shot after smoking in her car . "Girl i'm sure . It's been how long since he's been home ? I'm sure he's looking for some random pussy ." i said rolling my eyes at the thought of him . "What if he really looking for you ?" She asked as we walked towards the door . "What if i'm not trying to be found ?" i said laughing .

"Aw shit i know it's not the one and only hollywood ." Reggie greeted me pulling me into a bear hug . Reggie was cool . He was like an older brother . And i had so much respect and appreciation for him . "I am not hollywood ." i laughed . "I'm just following my dreams ." i finished as we continued our small conversation before Kami and i went to get a drink passing through the huge crowd of dancing , laughing , and drinking people from the neighborhood .