It Matters How This Ends Part 94

He came up to me and looked me in the eyes. I felt goosebumps all over my body and I tried to stay calm. I stared back at him, without blinking an eye.

"What the hell am I doing here?", he suddenly exclaimed and I felt huge weight being lifted off my shoulders.

"I don't know.", I said, searched for Piper's hand and held it in mine.

"Well, we were, uh, expecting a plumber today. So maybe you're the guy, eh?", Nicky said and winked at him.

"Maybe. But where are my tools? And why am I not wearing a uniform?", he started asking questions and I was afraid he would get suspicious of us, so I decided to wrap it up as quickly as possible.

"I really don't know. But it's fine, the plumbing can wait. It's really not a big deal.", I said and opened the bathroom door;

"Thank you for your time. I hope you start feeling better soon."

He looked at us one more time and left towards the main door.

"Here's a little something for your time.", I said and gave him $50.

He scratched his head, took the money and headed out. I was about to close the door on him, when he put his hand on it, preventing me to do so.

"Hey! Aren't you..", he said and my heart stopped.

I closed my eyes for a moment, opened the door and thought to myself; this is it. This is how it ends.

"Aren't you gonna show me the way out?", he finished his sentence.

I wiped the sweat off my forehead and showed him which way to go with my shaky hand.

He left.

I shut the door and leaned against it. I let out a big sigh.

"What the hell was that?!", Piper yelled.

"Fuck.", Nicky chuckled.

"I think we all could use a drink.", I said and walked towards the kitchen. I opened a bottle of wine and poured each of us a glass.

We all sat down on the couch in the living room and downed our drinks.

We sat in silence, each of us trying to process the past events.

Nicky put down her empty glass on the coffee table;

"So it's safe to say you kids won't be annoucing your shit publicly no more, uh?"

I adjusted my glasses and looked at Piper.

"What? I thought it was a cute idea. Plus, you agreed!", she squealed.