It Matters How This Ends Part 24

"I'm gonna need a moment", I said and wanted to get out of the bed.

"No",
Piper grabbed my hand and pulled me back;
"You don't have to run from me. You don't have to act so tough. I love you. I don't think you understand just how much. Even I don't think I ever truly will, because it is..SO much more than anyone could imagine. I love you when you're smiling and I love you when you're crying. I want to be there for you. I want to know what's going on in that pretty head of yours. Every thought, every feeling...Nothing you could ever do or say could make me think less of you. Let me help you."

Hearing those words, I completely lost control of my emotions and I broke down.

"I'm scared, Piper. I'm so scared and I know things are perfect between us now, but I..."

Piper looked at me with her famous worried face as I was trying to finish my sentence.

"But you what?"

"I....I'm scared that I won't be enough for you. What if one day, you find someone hotter..or smarter...or just someone better than me? I'll be stuck loving you from far away for forever."

Piper's forehead lifted and she knit her eyebrows;
"Oh, Al. Do you really think I could just replace you? I could NEVER. You are the reason I'm still here. You are the reason I smile so big and laugh so hard, I start to snort. You're why I'm happy and that will never change. I promise you. You have no idea how much you mean to me. You're not enough for me..you're too good for me. And someone hotter??? Have you looked at a mirror recently? Please, you could turn any straight girl. I mean, look at me, I'm so gay for you, I can't even think straight. And smarter? You're the smartest person on the world, seeing how you want to marry me. I mean, let's face it, I am pretty awesome".

I couldn't keep a straight look on my face. I smiled and pulled her even closer.
My finger softly touched her face. She kissed my lips and turned around, with her back facing me.
I wrapped my left hand around her waist and put my right hand underneath her pillow.
We stayed in a spooning position all through the night. I couldn't remember the last time I felt so safe.