It Matters How This Ends Part 5

"Alex...you asked why I'm doing this. I'm doing this because she needs you.", Larry said.

"She needs me? Then why isn't she the one in this car, next to me, instead of you? no offence.", I exclaimed.

"Because, first of all, she doesn't even know you're out. And second of all, she's---"
I interrupted him;
"Well if she cared, she could just make a phone call to the prison and find out when they're letting me out!"

"Alex, Jesus. Can you let me finish?? She can't."

I looked at him and raised my eyebrows.

Larry continued;
"She can't..She can't because ever since you broke up, she's been having trouble accepting it. She's not taking to me, not even Polly. Not even her mother, or Cal. That's why I..WE need you. I thought maybe she'd listen to you..Since you were her life..that's what she said anyway."

I couldn't believe my ears.

"Larry, I don't know if I can do this. I fucked up. I'm the reason she's...messed up. I don't think it's a good idea to just show up to her appartment and start..start talking, Larry I don't even know what to say to her. There's no apology for what I did-we did to each other. You can't fix a broken heart with words. Trust me..I know."

"Alex please, just try. I'm begging you. It's her life we're talking about here. And if there's any chance of her getting better..You're the only one who can save her from sinking even lower. PLEASE, do this. Not for me, for her."

I didn't say a word. What is happening? Like, I JUST got out of prison, then this guy who hated me shows up and now he wants me to save my..my fucked up ex like I'm some sort of a superhero?

Larry interrupted my thoughts;

"Okay look, I'll get you a place to stay. I haven't sold my old appartment yet, just in case Polly and I would ever..well you know, go our separate ways. You can stay there. There's food in the fridge, there's even some of Polly's old clothes in the closet. Okay, please, just do this. Just make sure she doesn't hurt herself and you can stay at mine's for however long you want."

I took a deep breath;
"I don't know. It just seems like a bad idea."