It Matters How This Ends Part 108

She put her arms around my neck and I pulled her closer to me. I put my hand on her shoulder and she burried hers in mine. "Only You" started playing and we moved slowly and romantically to the rhythm. Piper chuckled. "What?", I asked. "I just remembered your mix tape you made for me. That was so cute. And so gay.", she laughed and I rolled my eyes with a smile on my face. Bill approached us;

"Excuse me. I'm pretty sure it's time for the father-daughter dance. May I?", he asked.

I kissed Piper on the cheek and let them dance. I walked up to Carol and offered her another glass. She took it and we both took a sip.

"So, Alex, if you don't mind my asking," she began cautiously, "What are you planning to do now? Don't tell me you're going back to your old career."

"Oh, no. Even if I wanted to, I'm pretty sure my old boss doesn't remember me. He probably doesn't even remember himself.", I cuckled.

"Huh?", Carol was confused.

"Oh, nothing. Well, Carol, I don't know what the next step for us is. Piper could find work in electrical and I could easily do anything that has to do with washing and folding laundry.", I raised my hand and waved to the waiter. I had a feeling I was gonna need a lot more alcohol.

"Oh. Piper always has a job waiting for her at her father's office. Maybe you could do that, too? I will make sure to ask him. That sounds like fun, doesn't it? You and Piper could be co-workers. But no funny business!", Carol exclaimed and I didn't know whether she was kidding or not.

"Mrs.", the waiter gave me my drink.

I took it and drank it all in one go.

"Oh, Alex. I don't think that's a very good idea. You still have a lot of guests wanting to talk to you. Don't you think you should slow down?", Carol was beginning to get on my nerves. She was nice and all, but too nosey. And somewhat bossy.

"Al!", Piper ran to me and grabbed my face. She kissed my lips and she was all smiles.

"I'm so happy to see you, Pipes. Literally.", I felt relieved. I didn't think I could take one more minute of Carol's questions about our future.

"Cheers, mom.", she picked up a glass and started talking to her.

"I'll be right back.", I whispered in Piper's ear and left.