It Matters How This Ends Part 85

"Hello, Alex is it?", Carol looked at me with a forced smile on her face.

"Yes. Hey. It's nice to meet you.", I said, followed by an awkward handshake.

"It's not really a good time, mom.", Piper said and gave me the dirty look.

"Well, why not, Piper? What's the matter?", Carol looked at her and placed her hand on Piper's shoulder.

"Nothing. I'll call you tomorrow, okay?", Piper kissed her on the cheek; "see you, mom." and left.

I adjusted my glasses and didn't know what to do. I stood there, avoiding eye contact and tried to think of something to say. Anything.

Carol broke the silence;

"Well, Alex, I am glad you make my daughter happy, but please keep her out of prison this time, will you?"

I raised my eyebrow;
"I don't think I follow. With all due respect, she is a grown up and makes her own choices. Do you think I'm the one to blame she was in prison?"

"Oh, honey. We both know she is strangely naive.", she said, tapped my shoulder; "take care." and left.

It took me a minute to process everything that just happened and the second I did, I ran after Piper. I knew she couldn't be that far, because the conversation, even though it seemed like it lasted forever, only lasted a few seconds.

I caught up with her around the corner.

"Hey!", I shouted.

She turned around, looked at me and kept walking.

"Piper! Stop! Seriously!"

She didn't budge so I stopped chasing her and yelled;

"Fine! Act like a fucking two year old! You're fucking unbelievable!"

She stopped, turned around and walked towards me.

"I'm acting like a kid?!", she shouted in my face.

"I don't see anyone else running from their wife, do you?" I exclaimed.

"Fuck you.", she hissed at me and turned around.

"No!", I grabbed her hand and prevented her from leaving,

"Oh my God", I chuckled, "I know what this is about. You think I'm the reason you were in prison, too, don't you?"

"Don't be ridiculous.", she argued.

"What is it, then?"

"I don't want to talk about it. Let go of me."

"No. Tell me.", I insisted.

"Fine. You wanna know what's wrong!?", she shouted at me.

"I do!", I shouted back.