Sight

Hi guys! Sorry for updating SUPER late! School is terrible and so is the homework :<

Anyways, this is a modern AU where Hiccstrid is 22. Enjoy!

———————

"I feel like a mummy" Astrid said, her head head wrapped in white gauze, getting a chuckle from Hiccup who stood across from her.

It had been 15 years since she last saw anything. When she was seven, Astrid was diagnosed with an illness that took away her sight. Even if she was disadvantaged at first, that didn't stop. This was Astrid Hofferson, nothing could stop this girl.

Plus, friends and family was always there to help her. Especially, Hiccup. Hiccup was her boyfriend for about five years and best friend for seven. They were probably the closest couple that you could've ever met.

A few days ago, a cure was found for her illness and she was asked if she wanted it. So now they were sitting in a dull, white room, waiting for the doctor to come back in.

"It's gonna be fine, Astrid" Hiccup comforted her. "Besides you're not the one who's supposed to be worried" He said with a sigh.

Astrid frowned. "What do you mean?"

"Well," Hiccup started. "You're gonna see me for the first time and probably dump me because you'll realize I'm not good enough"

Astrid arched an eyebrow and laughed. "Hiccup, you're a knucklehead" She said to him, shaking her head. She was about to add something, but the doctor stepped back into the room.

"Okay, I believe we can take off the gauze now." The doctor told the two who nodded at him.

"So when you take it off, I'll be able to see?" Astrid asked, trying to keep her excitement down as the doctor went over to her.

"You should be, so let's fine out" The doctor confirmed, beginning to take off the gauze wrapped around her head.

Astrid kept her eyes closed until all the gauze is off, feeling light on her shut eyelids. She felt the doctor's hands retract and the last of the gauze be removed, nervousness, hopefulness, and so many more emotions coursing through her.

Astrid opened her eyes and for after so long, she could actually see. She blinked multiple times, the picture becoming clearer and clearer in front of her.

"Can you see anything?" The doctor asked and Astrid blinked for the last time, being able to see clearly now. Hiccup gave her a nervous smile, slightly biting his lip.

Her heart beat faster at the sight of him and she gaped. His auburn hair was tousled on his head and his green eyes pierced through her own blue ones.

The doctor took that as a sign and nodded. "Great, so I'll be back in a while to do some tests. For now, I'll leave you two it" They said, leaving the room.

Astrid couldn't take her eyes off Hiccup and she felt blush creep up her cheeks. "Oh my gods" She muttered.

Hiccup scoffed, a small grin on his face. "Great reaction, m'lady. Definitely making me feel better" He said sarcastically.

"Oh my gods!" Astrid exclaimed louder this time, standing up from the bed she was sitting on. She couldn't believe that this was her boyfriend, that she could actually see him.

Hiccup rolled his eyes, blush also on his cheeks from her reaction. "Great, now with more volume. Thank you so-"

Astrid cut him off with a deep kiss. Her hands moved to his cheeks as he kissed her back. She felt like she was floating on air, just like she did any other time they kissed.

They pulled back and rested their foreheads on each others, panting for air with grins on both their faces. Astrid's blue eyes looked into his bright green ones and she felt her heart skip a beat.

'Not good enough' Astrid thought back to what he said earlier and inwardly rolled her eyes.

"Shut up, will you?" Astrid told him, her grin spreading on her face as he studied his even more. "You're handsome, Hiccup" She finished sincerely.

"Really?" Hiccup asked in disbelief, frowning at her. Astrid laughed softly and nodded. "Yes, gods, you really are!" She answered Hiccup who still looked unsure and leaned back.

"What did you think I would say? That you're ugly and I wanna break-up with you?" Astrid asked him playfully and he grinned once more.

"Something like that, I guess" He replied and they both chuckled. Astrid looked down and laced their hands together, before looking back up at him.

"I'm just glad that I can see you" Astrid said, her eyes sparkling with happiness. Hiccup smiled back at her and gave her hand a squeeze.

"I wouldn't love you any less, if you couldn't" Hiccup told her and she chuckled. "And I wouldn't love you any less, if you were ugly" She said back and he smirked.

"Compared to you, I am" He retorted teasingly. Astrid grinned at their banter, nothing had changed except for the fact that she could see him.

"You are not, babe" She rolled her eyes and Hiccup scoffed, pulling out his phone. He clicked open the camera and raised it to her face.

"See for yourself, m'lady" Hiccup told her as Astrid looked at herself in her reflection. Her blonde hair was braid and her blue eyes stared back at her.

The last time she had seen how she looked like was when she was seven. It had been a long time and she had changed a lot, yet she like the way she looked.

"Maybe, I am pretty" She teased, putting hid hand holding the mirror down to see Hiccup again. He grinned at her an leaned forward to lightly peck her lips.

"It's a very popular opinion" He replied and she grinned back. "A biased one" She corrected him and he shook his head.

"Mm, nope. See, didn't I tell you that you were out of my league" Hiccup said and gave her a pointed look.

"I am not, and don't you dare doubt yourself Hiccup Haddock or I will punch you" Astrid threatened, narrowing her eyes at him.

"But still- ow!" He exclaimed and his hand held his shoulder protectively. He raised an eyebrow at Astrid who shrugged.

"I warned you" She told him simply and kissed him softly again. He kissed her back and suddenly the pain from his shoulder no longer felt as strong as what he felt from her lips pressed against his.

"I love you" Astrid breathed when they pulled away, a smile spreading on her face as she analyzed at his face again.

Her heart melted at the look he gave her, how he looked at her so lovingly and like she was the one thing that mattered to him.

"I love you too" Hiccup said to her back and it was so much better now that she could see him say it.