Sleep

Hi guys! Just to let you know, for every angsty chapter I make, I publish a fluffy one next 😊

This happens maybe a week after RTTE! Enjoy!

——————

It was the middle of the night and everyone on Berk was sleeping peacefully, but Hiccup could not get even a single wink of sleep. He turned again in his bed with his eyes shut, trying to sleep.

He couldn't get a certain blonde headed viking out of his head. Every time he closed his eyes, her face popped up and he could see her smiling brightly at him.

"Okay, I am not getting any sleep anytime soon" He said to himself, rubbing his eyes and sighing softly. He knew that he wouldn't be able to sleep without seeing her again.

Hiccup bit back a tiny grin at the thought of seeing her and sat up, swinging his legs over the bed and putting on his prostheric leg. He looked out at window, seeing the full moon shine down on him, and glanced at his sleeping dragon.

"Toothless" He whispered, shaking the Night fury a little to make him up. The dragon growled softly and opened his eyes to see his rider smiling sheepishly at him.

"Heh, I can't sleep" Hiccup told him and rubbed the back of his neck, making Toothless snort and shake his head.

'Stupid, love-sick rider' He said in his head, following Hiccup out of the house.

Hiccup quietely walked out his house, shutting the door carefully to not wake anyone up. He looked around at the empty streets and made his way to Astrid's house.

Moonlight reflected on the vast ocean and village, making it sparkle and the village streets light up. The scenery around him was breathtaking, but he did pay attention to it at all. There was someone else who was even more breathtaking to him.

Toothless lazily followed behind him, trying not to fall asleep while walking to Astrid's house. Hiccup nudged him gently when they arrived there and he climbed onto his back.

"Just a boost" Hiccup told the Night fury softly as he brought his rider up to his betrothed's small balcony. The auburn haired boy jumped off his dragon's back and gestured for him to go back down and wait.

Hiccup turned around to the glass doors leading to Astrid's bedroom and knocked softly on them. He saw something stir on her head and watched as she slowly sat up.

"Hiccup?" He heard her muffled call from inside her room and she stood up, walking over to him with a confused frown.

His heart beat quicker in anticipation as she unlocked the door and stepped outside. Hiccup's breath caught in his throat when he saw her.

Her long, blonde hair was down and rays of moonlight reflected on them, making her hair look like gold. Her bright blue eyes stared at him in complete confusion with a little but of tiredness, making his heart flutter.

But most of all, she was wearing simple leggings and his green tunic that she stole from him and fell a little off her shoulder since it was too big for her. It made his heart soar and love, finally being able to see her again.

"Hiccup? Why are you here?" Astrid asked him and yawned softly, her angelic voice knocking him out of his trance. He bit his lip nervously and shrugged.

"I-i couldn't sleep without seeing you again" Hiccup answered sheepishly, making her raise an eyebrow.

"Didn't you see me three or four hours ago?" She asked, giving him a small smile and tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. He blushed and chuckled nervously.

"Well, I guess it was too long away from you" Hiccup told her and smiled. "I got used to sleeping with you beside me" He added, making her smile back. At the Edge, they would sleep in Hiccup's hut together almost every single night. It was always so comfortable for both of them to fall asleep in each other's arms.

"I have to admit, I missed sleeping beside you" Astrid told him and lead him to the railing of the balcony, leaning against it with her arms crossed and facing the empty village. She glanced at the moon before smiling back at her betrothed.

"As you can obviously see, I missed it too" Hiccup said back, gesturing to their situation and making her chuckle softly. He smiled and side-stepped closer to her, their elbows touching.

He looked at her face and felt himself leaning in to kiss her softly. She kissed him back and they pulled away after a few seconds, grinning.

"So, you really couldn't sleep?" Astrid teased him and he rolled his eyes playfully. "Not a wink, m'lady" Hiccup replied and rubbed his nose against hers, making the girl laugh quietly. She looked away from him and shook her head while hiding a smile.

"You're really a piece of work, babe" Astrid told him, grinning at him widely. He smiled back and draped an arm around her lovingly.

"I know" He replied with a small shrug before looking out a the midnight sky. She chuckled and shifted her gaze to the bright stars, leaning her head on his chest and feeling her eyelids droop.

"You wanna join me?" Astrid asked him and tilted her head to her bedroom. He smiled back at her and nodded, taking her hand.

He quickly looked down from the balcony and saw his dragon sleeping cozily below. He followed her in the room and carefully shut the door as he walked inside.

Astrid made space for him on her bed and smiled as he lied down beside her. He pulled the furs up and wrapped an arm around her, bringing her closer.

She nuzzled her head onto his chest, listening to his steady heart beat and beginning falling asleep again. He closed his eyes and leaned his head on hers, sighing softly in content.

"I love you" Hiccup whispered softly and kissed the top of her head. "I love you too" Astrid whispered back and smiled a little, falling asleep in his arms. He smiled happily and closed his eyes again, his last thought being of her before he slept peacefully.

Even if Astrid never left his mind, finally seeing her again and having her in his arms was enough for Hiccup to finally go to sleep.