All They Need

Hi guys! This is a modern AU and it happens when Hiccstrid is 23 and engaged! Enjoy!

———————

Astrid walked into her and Hiccup's apartment and sighed tiredly. She had a bad day at work and needed to talk to him about it. She looked around and noticed that Hiccup wasn't home yet and frowned.

She dropped her bag by the door and plopped onto the couch, taking out her phone. Calling her fiancé, she lifted her phone to her ear and listened as the phone rang. Then, she smiled a little when she heard his voice answer.

"Hey, m'lady" He greeted her.
"Hey babe. Where are you?" She asked him, hoping that he would come home sooner so she could talk about her bad day.

"I just got in the car to head home, why?" He asked and Astrid sighed softly into the phone, her frown deepening.

"Bad day?" Hiccup guessed and Astrid chuckled, shaking her head. "You wouldn't believe it" She muttered and leaned back on the couch, closing her eyes.

"So many thing just went so wrong and I had to fix all of them up. Even if they weren't mine in the first place!" Astrid ranted and sighed deeply.

"Well, when I get there, you can tell me all about it." He said supportively and she felt a smile rise on her face.

"Okay. See you soon, babe" Astrid told him.
"Love you. See you soon" Hiccup replied and ended the call. Astrid put down the phone and checked the time. It was 5:15 and it usually took 15 minutes from Hiccup's work to their apartment.

Then, she heard a mew on the floor and smiled widely when she saw Toothless. She picked up the black cat onto her lap and petted his head softly.

"Hey, bud. Where's Stormfly?" Astrid asked the cat and he mewed again, looking to the side. Suddenly, a golden retriever ran into the room and jumped onto the couch beside Astrid. The girl laughed when her dog barked happily while she pet her head.

"Hi, girl. Now, we're only missing Hiccup" She said and smiled sadly as their pets cuddled near her.

'Just 15 more minutes' Astrid said to herself and turned to the TV, switching on Netflix and playing a show to distract herself.

Then many minutes passed by and she was already done with a whole 30 minute episode. Astrid frowned as she looked at the door and noticed that Hiccup was still not home.

She shrugged it off. 'It's probably just traffic or that he found another stray cat or dog to bring to an animal shelter' Astrid smiled at that the thought and rolled her eyes, clicking on another episode.

So engrossed into the TV show, Astrid didn't notice that the episode had already passed and still Hiccup wasn't home. She quickly checked the time and her eyes widened when she saw that it was 6:21. Astrid opened a messaging app and clicked on Hiccup's name.

'Hey what happened? It's been over an hour' She texted him and frowned worriedly.

'Are you okay?' Astrid texted next, her heart beating quicker at the answer she might get from her question. She waited a few minutes for him to respond since he was online, but he still hadn't read it.

She called him and pressed her phone to her ear, listening to the dial tone and the line beeping. The automated voice came on saying the number was busy and not attending. She groaned in frustration and ended the call, a frown growing on her face.