Hanging Off A Cliff

Hi guys! Here's a small angsty request! Comment if you guys wanna make it a nightmare instead, because my heart literally died.

Happens after HTTYD2! Enjoy!

———————

"AHHHH!" Astrid yelled and swung her axe at a dragon hunter. They blocked it with their sword and she pushed against it with a grunt.

Then, the viking fell to the ground and Hiccup stood behind them with a smile. She grinned back at him and it quickly dropped into a frown when she heard shouts in the background.

Hiccup frowned as well and took her hand. "Come on, we need to go!" He told her urgently and she nodded, running after him as they ran away from the dragon hunters.

It was an ordinary day at Berk when Hiccup and Astrid were patrolling at the far edge of the island and were ambushed by a group of dragon hunters. Their dragons were trapped and they were forced to run away.

Hiccup and Astrid ran swiftly through the dense forest, past trees and rocks, and only kept their eyes forward. Hearing a shout from behind him, Hiccup turned his head to see but kept running.

Suddenly, the ground underneath Hiccup disappeared and he fell down a cliff, Astrid following after him. Both of then yelled in surprise, but she managed to stop from falling.

Astrid had caught onto a branch near the edge of the cliff, on hand gripping it tightly and the other clasped with Hiccup's. She grunted with effort and tried to pull them up, the branch cracking a little.

Her eyes widened at the sound and she stopped pulling, panting heavily. She looked down at her betrothed and she gaped when she the thrashing sea below then.

"HICUUUP!" She exclaimed worriedly and her scared blue eyes met his concerned green one. He frowned and looked around at their situation.

Their dragons were trapped and hunters were after them. The branch they were hanging on to could only handle one person and if he let go, he would die from the waves. But Astrid would be able to get back up and get help.

"Astrid" He breathed in realization, calming down and looking into her eyes sadly. As he looked at her face, tears gathered in his eyes knowing what he had to do.

Astrid saw the change on his face and her eyes widened when she knew what he was thinking. She shook her hear furiously and bit her lip hard.

"No!" She disagreed and frowned at him, her eyes becoming glassy. He gave her a small smile and nodded.

"Astrid, it's the only way" Hiccup told her in a soft voice and she let out a sob, a tear running down her cheek.

"Hiccup, no! You can't!" Astrid sobbed, shaking her hear and holding onto him tightly. He felt tears roll down on his cheek and exhaled sharply.

"You're the chief! You have a tribe that needs you to lead them! You have your mom, our friends, your dragon!" She continued, trying her best to convince him.

"You have me! I need you, Hiccup!" Astrid cried, looking into his eyes pleadingly. Hiccup looked back at her with a pained expression and just stared into her eyes. Her blue eyes that he had always loved.

He knew in his heart that she had to live. That he need to let go and give her a chance to climb up. That he had to break her heart, but she would still be safe.

"And I need you to live, m'lady" Hiccup replied to her, staring deeply into her eyes and letting out a tear from his eye.

"Tell mom that-" He started and she sobbed.
"No, Hiccup!" Astrid interrupted, closing her eyes to stop more tears from falling.

"Tell her that I wanted to spend more time with her. Tell our friends that I am so thankful for all our years together. Tell Toothless that he was the best friend a dragon rider like me could ever wish for" Hiccup told her, feeling his heart drop at the thought of leaving them all.

"And tell Berk that I want you as the it's new leader. You're strong, kind, and perfect for the job." He added and she let out another heart-wrenching sob.

"Hiccup, please. Please." Astrid begged, eyes overflowing with tears and her heart breaking. Hiccup sniffled and shook his head, biting his lip.

"I'm sorry. I really am, Astrid. I wish it didn't have to end like this. But I need to save you" He said to her and she scoffed.

"No, you don't! You need to live! You need to stay with me!" She shouted at him loudly, feeling rage and incredible sadness wash over her. She sighed and calmed down a little.

"Why? Why do you have to be heroic now? Why, Hiccup?" Astrid asked him in a small voice, her eyes tired and helpless.

"Because I love you. So much. So, so much, Astrid" Hiccup answered, his heart wrenching at the thought of leaving her.

"I love you too. Please don't leave me!" Astrid said back, her voice breaking at the end. Hiccup cried softly and shook his head. He looked up at her face and gave her a small smile. 

"When I go, climb up and get back to Berk. Find help and take our dragons back." Hiccup instructed and she frowned deeply, knowing she couldn't do it.

"I can't- not without you" She told him and he sighed softly. "Of course you can. You're Astrid." He supported her and she let out a small laugh.

"You made me Astrid. You made me who I am, Hiccup. I can't lose you." She said in almost a whisper and stared at him with the most sad and loving eyes Hiccup had ever seen. Suddenly, the branch cracked more and his heart dropped.

"I'm sorry and I love you, Astrid" Hiccup told her sincerely once she looked back at him again. "I love you too, Hiccup" Astrid replied and smiled sadly back at him.

"See you, m'lady" Hiccup said and gave her one last grin before letting go of her hand and falling down.

Astrid sobbed loudly, looking at his body crash down into the sea and feeling her heart break into a million different pieces.

She cried and closed her eyes, not wanting to believe that it was all real. That she had lost the one person she had loved the most. That she had lost Hiccup.

Her brave and shy Hiccup. Hiccup who was strong and kind, smart and determined, playful and funny. Her Hiccup, was lost forever. And she was just there.... hanging off a cliff.