Betrothal

Hi guys! Another request that I put a small FRIENDS reference in! (Don't worry, you'll still get it if you don't watch 😊)

Before Sandbusted in RTTE! Enjoy!

———————

"AHHHH!" Tuffnut shouted as he ducked from the huge dragon's ice blast. Hiccup blocked a blast with Inferno and glanced at Snotlout who whimpered.

"How much longer do we have to stay here?!?" Snotlout asked loudly and yelped when the dragon looked at him. Astrid did a barrel roll to escape a blast and sighed.

"Just until we train it!" Astrid answered, making Snotlout groan in frustration.

"Umm, guys! I don't think this dragon wants to be trained!" Fishelgs yelped and hid from the dragon again. The dragon stomped angrily, nostrils flaring and the snow covered ground began to shake.

"I DON'T WANNA DIE!!!" Ruffnut shrieked and ran around in circles, panicking. Then, a rock came rolling down the mountain beside them and pinned down Hiccup's leg.

"AHH!" He yelped in pain and tried to push it off him. Astrid turned around and gasped as she saw her boyfriend. Hearing the loud noise, the dragon turned around and faced Hiccup. She looked between the two of them worriedly and ran to him.

"ASTRID! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?! GET OUT!" Hiccup shouted at her as she started pushing the rock as well. His heart rate increased my a million when he saw her there.

"NO, HICCUP! I AM NOT LEAVING YOU!" She yelled back through gritted teeth, pushing against the rock with all her might.

The dragon walked closer to them, stomping hard with every step, and Astrid looked over at Hiccup worriedly.

"GO!" He shouted at her loudly and pointed over to where the others were hiding. She shook her head fiercely and kept pushing the rock.

Almost by a miracle, rocks started falling down all around them and one knocked the one pinning down Hiccup. He quickly got up and scanned the area for anywhere safe.

"THERE!" He shouted above the noise and pointed at a cave inside the mountain. The gang rushed in the cave, right before the entrance was sealed with rocks and ice.

They all panted, catching their breath. It was just another day of adventuring around the Edge, when they found this ice island. And to their luck, the island had a huge scary and hostile ice dragon on it. Even more so, their dragons had fled scared the moment they saw it.

Hiccup looked over at Astrid, still panting and felt anger and worry boil inside him. He frowned deeply and huffed one last time.

"ASTRID! What was that?!?" He asked angrily and pointed to the covered entrance. Her eyes met his and she glared back at him.

"Uh-oh. Hiccup's mad" Tuffnut whispered to his twin sister who had the same scared face as him.

"What was what, Hiccup?!" Astrid asked and placed her hands on her hips, scowling at him.

"Oh no, Astrid's mad too. Are they gonna fight?" Ruffnut whispered back and turned to the rest of the gang.

"Gods, It's gonna be like our parents are fighting" Snotlout murmured to his friends and they nodded in agreement.

"That stunt you pulled! You could've died!" Hiccup shouted back, glaring.

"I only did it because you could've died!" Astrid shouted back, frowning even more.

"Astrid, do you know how much it would hurt me if just a single piece of hair on your head was harmed, all because of me?!" He asked loudly and she scoffed.

"Do you know how much it would hurt me, if you died and I could've saved you?!" She retorted, crossing her hands over her chest.

"Is this even counted as fighting?" Fishlegs whispered to Snotlout who shrugged in reply.

"Astrid, you cannot do that again." Hiccup told her, pointing a finger at her. She gaped and let her hands fall to her side.

"I don't think you noticed, but I CARE ABOUT YOU!" She yelled and stepped closer to him.

"WELL, I LOVE YOU!" Hiccup yelled back and stepped closer to her.

"YEAH? WELL, I LOVE YOU AND I AM NOT LETTING YOU DIE!" Astrid declared and stepped one step closer. They were a few steps away from each other now.

"ASTRID, JUST-!" Hiccup started, but then sighed deeply and looked away. She sighed as well and sat down on a rock, her eyes not leaving him.

Hiccup looked back at her and they both gazed into each other eyes. They both had sad looks on their faces and looked at each other with longing.

"Ehem" Tuffnut coughed and the couple immediately looked over at him. Beside him, Ruffnut elbowed his stomach and pointed to the back of the cave.

"We found an exit" She said awkwardly and began walking over there with the rest of the gang who whispered among themselves.

"That's how they fight?! That's not even a fight! It's basically flirting but louder!" Snotlout whispered sharply at Fishelgs who nodded along.

Hiccup and Astrid were the last to follow them. They avoided each other's eyes and walked silently along the path of the cave. Their dragons waited on the other side of the cave and they went back home. The whole journey home and the rest of the day, the couple stayed silent and didn't talk.

•••

The sun was setting on the Edge and Hiccup and Astrid still hadn't talked ever since their so called fight. Astrid sat down on the cliff, her legs hanging off the edge.

She sighed tiredly and closed her eyes, taking in the calming silence of the place. Silence. It was all she had heard for the whole day.

Her eyes opened and she looked down at her lap in shame. She shouldn't have shouted at him or stop talking to him.

"Hey" A familiar voice came from her left and she instantly looked up to see who it was. Hiccup gave her a small smile and hesitantly sat down beside her.

"Hey" She greeted back and looked back at him. He stared into her blue eyes and sighed softly.

"Astrid, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have shouted and got so mad" He apologized sincerely and she smiled at him.

"I'm sorry too. I shouted back and I didn't keep calm. I just, care about you, Hiccup" She confessed and he smiled back at her.

"I love you" Hiccup said and scooted closer to her. She let out a small chuckle and smiled widely.

"I love you too" Astrid replied and leaned in to kiss him. They kissed passionately, letting their emotions of worry, anger, frustration just drift away and soon all they felt was love.

"Maybe it's a little soon, but Astrid Hofferson, will you be my betrothed?" He asked softly after they pulled away, forehead still pressed against together. She grinned and nodded.

"Yes. Of course, I will" She told him and he kissed her again. She laughed softly into the kiss and wrapped her arms around his neck, bringing him closer.

"Gods, I love you so much" He mumbled and rested his hands on her waist. They pulled back again after a while and panted heavily. Astrid and Hiccup smiled brightly at each other and chucked softly.

Hiccup draped his arm around her shoulders and Astrid leaned against his chest happily. She closed her eyes and felt his head rest on hers.

The gang was pretty sure now that it was definitely not a fight. It was a betrothal.