Hanging Off A Cliff Part II

Start from the beginning

He wasn't there to give his life for her. He wasn't there to the noble and heroic person he is. He wasn't there to save her.

And Astrid was happy with that. If she had to die for him to never have to risk his life for her and get hurt again, she would. She would do anything for the boy.

Astrid closed her eyes and let out a small laugh. She was at the same exact place she was in, inside her dream. Just this time she didn't have the heart-breaking sobs wrack through her body.

Just when she was about to pull herself up, the branch above her cracked. She gasped and stopped pulling, only to hear it crack even more.

Knowing that she would eventually fall again, her eyes built with tears and she shut them tightly. She sighed loudly in defeat and listened to her heart beat instead of the branch.

She was going to die. She was alone inside the forest, hanging off a cliff. Yet, on the inside, Astrid was content. It was only her that was going to die.

Not her family, not her friends, not her dragon, and especially not her betrothed. They were all safe, he was safe. Hiccup would be fine.

"Hiccup." She breathed, a smile rising on her face as she thought of him. Her heart flutter at the image of him in her head, his auburn hair and freckled face grinning at her like always.

"I love you" Astrid whispered, hearing the branch crack loudly and feeling it break apart. Once she and the branch fell down, her eyes closed and she kept the image of him in her mind.

She would never get to see that face again, never be able to see his grin again, never be able to laugh with him again. But he was safe. And that's all that matters.

Right when she was about to hit the water, instead of the cold hitting her she felt warmth surround her. Astrid frowned and opened her eyes, seeing a familiar face look at her with worry.

"Astrid! Are you okay?" Hiccup asked her in concern, his arms wrapped around the girl as Toothless flew into the sky again. She sat in front of him, her legs hanging off the side.

Astrid's breath hitched in her throat when he looked at him and she felt a tear roll down her cheek. It was Hiccup. He was fine. He was okay.

"Hiccup!" She exclaimed and hugged him tightly, crying softly into his flight armor and enjoying the feeling of his arms around her.

Hiccup frowned in confusion and hugged his betrothed back, gently patting her back to calm her down and comfort her.

"Shhh, shhh. It's okay." He muttered to her, listening to her cries fade away into sniffles. Astrid pulled away from his embrace and looked up at his face.

"Astrid, what happened?" Hiccup asked her, bringing his hands down to hers and lacing them together. Astrid let out a sigh and bit her lip, looking away.

"I-i had a nightmare. We were on patrol together and dragon hunters ambushed us. They took our dragons and we had to run away." She answered.

"But then, we weren't looking and fell down a cliff. I managed to hang on to a branch and take your hand. The branched started creaking and i-it wasn't strong enough to hold both of us" Astrid continued, frowning and feeling tears gather again at was happened next.

"T-then y-you let go" She said miserably, tears running down her face at the thought. Hiccup placed a hand on her cheek and gave her a small smile.