More Than Friends

Start from the beginning

"Shut up" Astrid muttered to her and crossed her arms over her chest. Her friends smirked at her embarrassed face and continued the quiz.

"Pick a pattern" Ruffnut told her and Astrid pointed to a dark blue one with multi-colored feather.

"What's a bad quality for a soulmate to possess that you think you could kinda, sorta deal with? Controlling, dumb, stubborn, messy, humorless, secretive"

"Stubborn" Astrid answered and Heather stifled a laugh. "'Cause you're stubborn" She said under her breath, clicking to see the results.

"You're soulmate is  6′0″ and had green eyes and light brown hair" Ruffnut read aloud and grinned widely at Astrid who blushed deep red.

"Hiccup isn't 6 feet and he doesn't have light brown hair" Astrid quickly defended, pointing to the screen as her friends smirked at her.

"He's an inch away from 6 feet, he does have green eyes, and he still has auburn brown hair" Heather told her friend who blushed deeper. Astrid scoffed and shook her head.

"This is just some dumb quiz, okay?" She said, playing with a string on the hem of her shirt. Hiccup had been her best friend since middle school and she's had a crush on him ever since. The thought of him not liking her back scared her so that she never fully told him.

Over the years, she just liked him even more. Soon or later, like turned to love and on the inside Astrid felt terrible that she had to hide it. Especially since he was her best friend.

Heather's and Ruffnut's faces softened at Astrid's vulnerable one and tried to comfort her.

"Ast, Hiccup likes you as much as you do. I'm sure of it" Heather told her and took her hand, making Astrid look up.

"How are you sure? I'm his best friend for about 3 years now! He would have done something" Astrid said, frowning and looking back down at her lap.

"Well, you're completely in love with him and you haven't done anything 'cause you were scared he might reject you. Maybe he's the same way" Ruffnut replied, making Astrid scoff and crane her neck up.

"Yeah, right" Astrid sniffled and wiped a small tear from her eye. Heather and Ruffnut glanced at each other and frowned, knowing that they had pushed too far.

"Astrid, I'm sorry for making you take the quiz and all of that stuff" Ruffnut apologized and looked at her friend with sincere eyes. Astrid gave her a small smile that didn't reach her eyes and nodded.

"It's fine. Umm, I'm gonna head out now. I have some homework to do" Astrid said quickly after that and stood up, walking over to the door.

She waived goodbye to her friends and quickly left the house, her small backpack hanging on her shoulder. She walked quickly, tears in her eyes that threatened to fall.

Astrid sniffled loudly as tears rolled down her cheeks, quickly being wiped off by her wrist. She was just so frustrated and confused on what to do.

Everything was pointing for them to be together but they weren't! She wanted to, gods she so wanted to. She just wasn't sure he did. She had kissed him 3 times, but he still didn't get the message.

"Astrid!" A familiar voice called after her and her eyes widened in shock. The blonde swiftly wiped her cheeks again and turned to face the one person she didn't want to see the most.

"Hey, Hiccup" She greeted, trying to smile at him, but once again it didn't seem sincere. Hiccup frowned and realized that she had been crying.

"Hey, are you okay?" Hiccup asked worriedly and stepped closer to see her tear stained cheeks. Astrid sniffled again and nodded.

"Yeah, I'm fine" She said, her voice cracking at the end. She quickly coughed to cover it up and smiled again at him.

"Astrid, you're terrible at covering up and I know when you're not okay. I've been your best friend for so long now" Hiccup said, shrugging at the end. Astrid sighed frustratedly and dropped her smile.

'Best friends. Friends. Just friends' She repeated miserably in her head and shut her eyes to stop tears from flowing.

"That's just it, Hiccup. We're just best friends" Astrid finally let out, looking away. Hiccup frowned even more and opened his mouth to speak, but she looked up at him abruptly.

"Do you not see that I love you, Hiccup? That I feel my heart beating a million times faster when I'm around you? Or I've kissed you. Three! Times!" She blurted out at him, letting all the emotions she was feeling out. Hiccup stood there, frozen with his mouth agape.

"Or do you see it and not like me? Because if that's so, just tell me right now and I'll accept it! Just don't leave me so confused and in love and sad- hmph!" Astrid was cut off by Hiccup abruptly pulling her in by her waist and kissing her deeply.

Astrid felt her heart flutter in delight and smiled happily into the kiss. She kissed him back passionately and laced her arms around his neck, bringing them closer.

"You don't know how long I've been waiting for you to say that" Hiccup whispered as he pulled away, their faces still close together.

"I think I have a good idea" Astrid replied, both of them with small smiles on their faces as they looked into each other's eyes.

"I love you" Hiccup told her and she let out a happy chuckle. "I love you too" Astrid said back and leaned in for another kiss.

Hiccup felt his heart soar while he finally kissed the girl he had loved for three years. He didn't care anymore how long they waited, he was just so happy that they had gotten here.

After a few minutes, they pulled away, panting hard but still smiling happily at the each other. Hiccup beamed at her face and tucked a loose hair behind her ear.

"So, are we dating now?" He teased her and she grinned, rolling her eyes.

"I don't know, are we?" She asked him back, playing with the two small braids she had put in his hair. Hiccup chuckled and leaned in to peck her lips again.

"We are then" He said and laced their hands together. Astrid laughed softly at him and nodded. Then, she looked around them and realized that they were on the side walk.

"Maybe we should go over to your place" Astrid said, looking suspiciously around them. Hiccup grinned and nodded, taking her back pack from her.

She looked over at him with a questioning look and he laughed softly. "It's what a boyfriend who loves you does" He told her and swung their laced hands back and forth as they walked down the street.

"Dork" She breathed out as she looked down and smile at their laced hand that fit perfectly together.

'Maybe that soulmate quiz really was true' Astrid thought in her hear. But even it wasn't and everything was actually pointing for them not to be together, she didn't care.

Because there was always going to be something there. Something there that makes them more than friends.