LBAWP | Chapter 17

Start from the beginning

I sigh and stay rooted in place. Kyle takes out another burger, but instead of giving it to Amaryllis, he starts to unwrap it. Then, he tosses it to her, and I cringe at the thought of the bread and meat and toppings all falling in the dirt. Amaryllis must too, because I don't hear any slurping.

"Can I have more?" Jess cries.

Kyle grumbles, but tosses her another wrapped burger. "Just slow down, before you throw it back up."

By the sound of it, Jess doesn't pay any attention. She eats loudly, sighing periodically.

"Aren't you going to eat?" Kyle asks me and I stare down at the burger suspiciously. "Look, it's not poisoned or anything. We're not here to hurt you."

His words only make me more suspicious, because I'm ashamed to say the thought of poison never crossed my mind. Now, it's all I can think about.

Kyle seems to realize that too, because he takes out a burger and starts to unwrap it. "Here, watch."

"Wait." I get to my feet just as he's about to take a bite and approach the bars. I do so cautiously so he thinks I'm scared of him, and extend the burger. "Trade?"

"Sure." Kyle chuckles. "You're a smart one, just like he said."

"Like who said?"

"Never mind that. You'll find out soon enough."

"Find out what?" I frown.

"Hey, Kyle," Robbie interrupts. "Should we maybe get her some clothes?"

I realize he's talking about Amaryllis, who's still in wolf form.

"Why does it matter?" Kyle groans.

Please? Amaryllis whispers over the link. Then, more loudly, Please, Kyle?

"You can't expect her to eat off the floor like some animal," Robbie adds with a shudder.

"Yeah, fine, whatever." Kyle shakes his head. "I'll be back. Do not move while I'm gone."

Since we're all locked behind bars, I'm assuming he means Robbie. It takes a second before he realizes it too, and nods. "Sure things."

"Oh, and here." Kyle pulls out his phone and slaps it into Robbie's hand. "In case the boss calls."

Kyle's footsteps recede down the hall, and my mind starts to race. How do I convince Robbie to unlock the cell door?

I take a bit of my burger while I think. It's actually not bad, and I tell Robbie so.

"Better than the stuff we usually get." Robbie settles down on the floor cross-legged, facing me, and unwraps a burger. "I'm so tired of Meat Lover's Pizza."

"Yeah, I'm not a fan of pizza either," I lie.

"Nah, don't get me wrong. I love pizza! But having it three times a day? You'll hate anything."

"You eat pizza three times a day? That doesn't sound healthy."

"It's not, but it's what Alpha likes."

"You mean Kyle?" I ask, even though I already know that Kyle's no alpha. He doesn't have that same air of command that POW has, for one thing. That and Jess mentioned an Alpha Daniel.

"Not Kyle." Robbie starts to laugh, but then the phone Kyle handed him rings and he abruptly stops. "Oh, shit. Hello?"

I can't hear whoever is on the other line, but Robbie suddenly goes a little pale. "Can't you just bring her down here?" He pauses, frowns. "I can't. I have to wait for Kyle." Pause. "No, he went to grab some clothes for the girl. When he's back—yeah, yeah, okay. Fine. Yes."