SBAWP | Chapter 42

Start from the beginning

I also know that Logan stayed by my side and took care of me the whole time I was healing from the attack. I know that he's a good friend to Jasper, and that almost everyone in the pack—including Zara—likes and respects him. I know that he would never hurt me, or anyone, not if he could help it. Finally, I know that me saying I don't really know him hurt his feelings, even though he quickly tries to mask it.

"You can get to know me, Saf," he whispers, stepping toward me. "I'll tell you anything you want to know."

My body responds to the husky timbre of his voice and to the vulnerability I briefly see reflected in his eyes. My heart speeds up until it's beating wildly in my chest and I suddenly feel warm all over. Uncomfortably warm, so much so that I take a nervous step back. "I'm still not going to, you know..." I swallow and back away further. "We haven't even gone on a date."

"Well have time for all that, Saf." Logan slowly closes the distance between us. "After Father's announcement, we'll have all the time in the world."

"O-okay," I whisper as he brushes back a strand of my still wet hair.

"We still have to try all the pizzas at Joe's, remember?" He smiles as his gaze locks on my lips. "We'll learn everything there is to know about each other then. I promise."

"Okay." I swallow nervously.

"Yeah?" Logan's lips curve up and he leans towards me. I feel my heart rate spike and lick my lips nervously in anticipation of the kiss. My eyelids start to drift shut, but then Logan whispers, "No. We can't."

"W-we can't?" I repeat, my gaze still locked on his lips. He's too close, so close that I can feel his breath softly grazing my lips. All I'd have to do is lean forward, and our lips would touch. I suddenly want that, more than anything, and start to reach for him.

"Saf, the announcement," Logan suddenly exclaims, backing away from me. "We have to figure out how to link, before it's too late."

"I-I can't." I stare down at my feet.

"Please, Saf, you have to. If Father found out, it would ruin everything."

"I-I'm sorry Logan." I shake my head. "I can't lose control. What if my forced me to... to..." A bunch of horrible thoughts cycle through my head: tearing my clothes off in front of the entire pack; jumping a guy other than Logan, a guy I don't even like; attacking someone; hurting one of the little kids. My eyes fill with mortified tears.

"Saf, hey, hey, it's okay." Logan gently caresses my cheek. "Your wolf can't force you to do anything."

"Yes, she can," I whisper, leaning into his touch.

"Your wolf is not the enemy, Saf. She's a part of who you are."

"I know, but... remember what you said in the bathroom?" I blush at the memory of the stuff we did there, and if the heated look Logan gives me is anything to go by, I can tell he's thinking about it, too.

"What did I say?" he asks, his voice deep and husky.

"T-that you couldn't control your wolf."

"I never said that." The heated look disappears, replaced by confusion.

"Yeah, you did. Remember? You said that your wolf wanted to hurt me, that it was just instinct and—"

"Wait a minute." Logan lets go of my cheek and takes a step back, his eyes wide. "I never wanted to hurt you."

"What about on our run? And in the janitor's closet." My cheeks flood with even more color. "You lost control and—"

"I didn't lose control." Logan shakes his head. "Saf, I... I'm so sorry..." He runs a hand through his hair. "I was just... look, there's something I need to tell you." He grabs my hand and pulls me toward the bed. By the time I think to resist, he has me sitting down facing him.

"Logan, I don't think..." I start to get up, but he pulls me back down again.

"Saf, I never wanted to hurt you," he says, looking at me earnestly. "Never."

1

1. Rate this  chapter on a scale from ♥ (1) to ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ (10)

2. What do you want to see happening in the next chapter? 

3. Are you ready to find out where POW's been over the last few days? 

4. Yanny or Laurel?

5. Blue and black or white and gold (sorry, I couldn't resist)?

 Blue and black or white and gold (sorry, I couldn't resist)?