SBAWP | Chapter 37

Start from the beginning

"Logan?" Saf whispers, looking up at me in concern.

"You need to get better," I whisper, gently trucking an errant strand of hair behind her ear.

"Logan's right," Mother adds. "James, just look at the poor girl. Let her rest"

Father sighs. For a second, I think he might give in, but his sense of responsiblity for the pack ultimately wins out. "It has to be done."

"But now, James?" Mother frowns. "Doctor Dev says Saffron needs to rest."

"Can't you see she's in pain?" I add.

"I'm okay. Really." Saf places a gentle hand on my arm. "I'll answer your questions."

I want to believe her, but the pain in her voice says otherwise. That and that fact that her face has drained of all color and she's still hooked up to an IV. She glances wearily between all of us, and I squeeze her hand gently to remind her I'm on her side. The sight of her like this, suffering, is like a dagger to my heart. It's almost as thought I can feel her pain, even though we aren't fully mated.

"Thank you, Saffron." Father nods. "Doctor Dev, how long does it take for the medicine to kick in?"

"I would say..." Doctor Dev hesitates, "five minutes?"

"Then that will have to do." Father nods. "Go ahead, Saffron."

Doctor Dev starts to unscrew the top off the small brown bottle, but I reach forward to take it from her. "I'll do it."

"Alright." She nods. "Give her two spoons every half hour, alright?"

I nod at the familiar instructions. Any time one of us has to take medicine for anything, it's always every half hour... like when I had Mono. I was only sick for two days, but each time I took a painkiller, it would kick in and almost instantly wear off again. When I wasn't sleeping, it was one pill every half hour.

"Open up," I tell Saf as I carefully pour a spoonful of the dark brown liquid.

"I can do it." She reaches for the spoon. Her cheeks show a bit of color again, and the fact that she's blushing makes want to throw my arms around her and give her a big hug; which would probably hurt considering every move makes her grimace, so I settle on making her blush some more instead.

"You don't want to spill this," I tell her, ignoring her hand and moving the spoon to her lips. Saf's cheeks brighten—or they do until she tastes the medicine. At first, she grimaces in disgust; after I give her the second spoonful, she looks like she might barf it all back up.

"Here." Doctor Dev quickly hands me a glass of water. I tilt it up to Saf's lips, and she literally chugs the whole thing down in one gulp, that's how bad the medicine is. The moment she's done, she looks around for more water, but Doctor Dev shakes her head no. "Too much water can make you sick," she explains, "but once you fall asleep the taste won't bother you." She turns to my Beta. "Jasper, I think we should relocate Zara to the recovery. Give you two some privacy for when she wakes up."

"Which is my cue to get started," Father says as a grinning Jasper helps Doctor Dev wheel out Zara's hospital bed and IV. "Saffron, I promise I'll make it quick, sweetheart. I know that thinking about the attack is going to be hard for you, but it's important that you tell me everything that happened. The safety of the entire pack depends on it."

"The safety of the entire pack?" Saf looks confused for a second, but then I see the exact moment she starts to remember. Her eyes widen, and with a stricken expression, she asks, "The kids?"

"They're fine." I squeeze her hand in reassurance.

Saf nods and her gaze drifts to Zara. She stares at her for a few seconds, as if making sure she's still breathing—the same thing I did with Saf not so long ago—and then her eyes widen.

"Jess?" she whispers. "He took her, didn't he? Is she—did he—"

"Saf..." I squeeze her hand, looking at Father for help.

"Did you find her?" She looks at me hopefully, and when I don't reply, her face falls. "Is she... dead?"

"She's missing," Father explains gruffly before I can think of a way to reply without upsetting my mate. "But we'll find her; I promise we'll find her."

"I'm so sorry," Saf looks down at her hands.

"Hey." I squeeze her hand. "It's going to be okay."

"No, it's not." Saf shakes her head. "This is all my fault. It was my plan. I—I thought we could hold them off."

"Saf, it's not your fault," I tell her, pulling her close, but she doesn't look like she believes me.

"Saffron," Mother comes over to sit on the edge of the bed, "you did the best you could. Because of you, Zara and the little kids are all home safe. You just have to trust that the Moon Goddess will keep Jess safe until we find her."

"I'll help," Saf nods, her eyes bright. "I'll tell you everything I know."

○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ 

Did you guys like this chapter?

Any suggestions/advice? I think I need them! 

THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO SUGGESTED BOOK NAMES BEFORE! I LISTED MY FAVORITES BELOW. I need your help picking names for the other two books in the Sold to a Wolf Pack trilogy.  NOTE: Book 1 is Sold to a Wolf  Pack, chapters 1-30 (completed). Book 2 is chapters 31-60 (ongoing). Book 3 with be chapters 61 - 90 (forthcoming). 

Which of these sound like the best names for books in the series? 

[I renamed the book based on the majority vote so far. I can still change it if the vote shifts!!!]

(A) Stolen from a Wolf Pack

(B) Wolf Pack Luna  

(C) Saved by a Wolf Pack 

(D) Loved by a Wolf Pack

(E) OTHER? (if you don't like my 4 top picks, I'm open to other ideas)