Back in Our Time (2)

"She is not supposed to be here Amanda." The esteemed general physician, scientist, and nautical engineer blurted tight lip and straight face in front of her hologram of a college best friend who appears to be in her council office as of the moment.

"This is the only way I could think of Althea, if I thoroughly restrain her from doing what she's thinking of doing, she'll just run away from home again." Amanda said in defeated tone that's almost familiar to the doctor's hearing even after years of not talking.

"So now you're passing your responsibility to me again? Like you've always done? Amanda we're not young anymore." Althea exasperated as she side-eyed the figure of Amanda's 18-year-old daughter outside the room.

"I've apologized about what happened more than a hundred times Thea. I lost a husband in that incident."

"Oh yeah? Well I lost everything."

"Althea - "

"It is just a mystery to me why this 18 year old of yours isn't steering away from this kind of stuff."

"Remember me when we were 18?"

"Amanda that was 2011."

"We've changed so many things in this planet Althea, my daughter wouldn't take 'Your dad is dead. The end.' Not when her childhood was filled with your amazing science bed time stories." Amanda pleaded with her hands clasped together against her chest, Althea never saw her old friend this desperate before, even after losing her husband in that accident.

"How far does she know about the kind of work we used to do?"

"She knows every bit. I gave her my entire journals two summers ago. She has memorized them."

"That is far from application Amanda."

"I know and I told her that, she's willing to learn everything."

"This thing is a century late you know."

"I know, I'll provide any help you need while she's with you. Maybe it's time to pick up where we left of?"

"Are you sure? Are you sure you're willing to risk everything you have now even your daughter?"

"God knows how much I love her Althea, if this is what she wants."

"Fine. I'll send you a daily update of the progress and our standing financially."

"Thank you Althea, thank you so much for doing this. I'll provide your needs, you have nothing to worry about."

"And what about the government?"

"We'll keep it as low-key as possible. Do you still have the Dome?"

"It's not working as of the moment."

"Can you still fix it?"

"You daughter and I could try."

"That would be great. I'll make sure the perimeter protection would be deactivated the moment you turn the Dome on."

"Wouldn't that alert the government?"

"Althea, you're talking to your colleague. We've done this before." Amanda assured

"Fine. We'll try to work on the dome tonight, and I'll let you know when we're ready."

"Absolutely, I'll be waiting then."

"Good. We'll keep in touch." Althea nodded, she saw Amanda with a satisfied smile before she disconnected.