Find Me A Way Pt. 1

When Jade first broke up with Althea, the first thing Althea started to forget about her was the color of her eyes and how they smiled when she does. It wasn't as momentous as she expected in hindsight, she didn't even notice it while standing in line at the immigration counters of the Charles De Gaulle airport on her way back to the Philippines.

She shifted on her feet a few times before adjusting the letterman bag on her shoulder. It's the hottest summer day in Paris and Althea just wanted to have nothing of it anymore.

She's tired.

So tired.

There were hours of unnecessary meetings, with people she's already known from working for the company for three years now due to the lockdown in person for the first time. She wasn't particularly thrilled about the company-wide event, but Jade told her it was not usual for a company to sponsor all their employees for a week in the City of Lights all expenses paid; especially not after a plague.

But Althea's introverted psyche could only handle too much and right now, all she wanted to do is go home and pull her girlfriend of four years into a big bear cuddle, after a week of not seeing her. By the time Althea boarded her plane, she'd already forgotten when their first date, was and what Jade's favorite perfume was or the scent of it not long after. Upon reaching the cruising altitude of 36,000 feet, Althea has long forgotten where they had their first misunderstanding, along with Jade's favorite color.

Her favorite meal, was it sushi or beer and pizza? No one will ever know now.

She was forgetting things at a rate, albeit, unbeknownst to her.

She has a ring inside a small deep teal velvet box, bearing weight on the right pocket of her jeans. It's a beautiful solitary titanium band of the most dreamy gem to ever exist, moonstone. She'd bought it from one of the most famous antique jewelers in Paris, The Shakespearean. It's Jade's birthstone which she will soon forget as well.

Jade has always had expensive taste, but she wasn't high maintenance, or if she was she never demanded Althea to treat her differently. It was Althea's prerogative to treat Jade the way she deserved from the beginning. Jade's understanding and kind and intuitive and outgoing and altruistic. Jade was everything Althea could ask for, really. Four years into the relationship, she's still unsure how lucky she got.

The winning draw must've been averted, maybe it was a mistake, Jade finding a way to find her in a convoluted place like Manila is a once-in-a-lifetime chance that can only be dreamed of. As the plane landed home Althea has already forgotten the first time Jade ever told her she loved her. And her first instinct was to call her, tell her she landed, tell her she made it safe, that she sat with a cranky baby and poor new parents during the long haul of the flight, but Althea's never one to call without texting, and so text she did.

"My love, I've landed. I'll see you in a bit." The message was sent but wasn't delivered right away, which is typical of Jade. Althea paid no mind to that fact and went with the rest of the passengers taking their carry-ons from the overhead cabin.

Althea already feels excitement babbling from the pit of her stomach. She can finally say in confidence that she's done with working her 9 to 5 job at this big Australian tech company and is ready to give it all up and ask Jade to move somewhere their marriage will be recognized.

She'll soon start rendering her resignation, and they can plan something else more important for the both of them. It's been their dream for the last three years, Althea had pushed it aside far too many times but she's ready now. She'd find a way to free them both.

Jade first broke up with Althea via a letter, one she's written hastily the night before Althea's flight back home.

Hasten but carefully thought out. Planned and painfully permanent. Did Jade write the piece out of spite, or did Althea do or said something intentionally wrong? Not a single soul would know. Not even their friends, or family, hell not even their cat.