One Day For Us (14)

March 2016

"What is it mom?"

"You have no plan of explaining things to me anymore Jade?"

"There's not much to say mom, that's just not the life I want, not the life I imagined myself living forty to fifty years from now."

"And what do you imagine your life be? Be with that woman?" Mom asked in a slightly softer tone, still with the bitter after taste of the indirect mention of Althea.

"I imagine my life to be mine mom, not planned by you or anybody else, I want to live a happy life because of all my own decisions. It doesn't have to concern Althea anymore, it's all about me, I'm an able adult and I know what I want and I don't want now. That's what I want you to know, to realize and to accept." I said without buckle and for the first time in my whole existence I felt empowered. My mother sighed and took something out of her bag.

"I found this while I was cleaning your room the day before your wedding. You left it under your mattress." Mom said as she put a inch thick old looking dust stained book. And I knew pretty well what it was. It's our book. The poorly edited one that has already became some sort of diary for me.

"That's mine." I said

"I know, and I'm sorry because I've read it. Your adventures together since you're fifteen, the day you met her again when you're seventeen, your graduation and eighteenth birthday, and all the other days you two met until five years ago. I've read it all Jade - -" Mom said in the softest tone I ever heard her use and then she was tearing up.

"Mom - -"

"I'm so sorry Jade. I don't know how affected you are with everything I've dictated you to do, everything I wanted you to be, everything I put you down for. I'm sorry for choosing not to see how genuine the love you have for her was. How strong and stubborn it was that even if she's just dropping by that certain day every year you expect her to come. You're always expecting her. You've always wanted her right from the start." Mom apologized as she clutched tight on my hand.

"It was all too late I guess, I'm already losing hope of seeing her again, dead or alive." I sighed as I try to keep myself intact.

"Find her I believe that she's still alive." Mom encouraged.

"What are you talking about mom?"

"Be free Jade, be not afraid anymore of chasing the life and love you should be enjoying as of now. It may end up good or bad but at least you tried." Mom tenderly smiled and although reluctant of what she wanted me to be I accepted the freedom she handed me. After our talk in the café, she drove me home and for the first time in years we hugged like how we should.

"Hello B?"

"Hey what's up? What happened?"

"We talked, mom apologized and she finally accepted me. She even wants me to find Althea - -" I sarcastically chuckled

"It's not too late is it?"

"B, we've gone to too many places where she could be but there's just no sign of her, it's like she intend me not to find her."

"I have news about her friends our investigator based in Wilmington called in just now, you want to know?"

"Sure, tell me."

"Right, first there's Paul?"

"Yeah I know him."

"He just came back from France with his french model fiancee. They're to be married in Wilmington somewhere in spring."