Rose of the North (3)

"Sawadeeka! Good Morning Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to our half-day five-temple tour. The first temple we're going to visit is the Wat Chiang Man temple located in the north-east corner of the old walled city, next is the Wat Phra Singh in the westerns side, then the Wat Bupparam just 500 meters east of the Tha Pae gate and the famous Wat Chedi Luang and Wat Pan Tao situated side by side located at the center of the old city. The whole tour will be 3-4 hours, after that we'll stop for our buffet lunch of classic Thai food. I am Glaiza your tour guide for today, don't hesitate to approach me for any concerns. I'll have your names written on this sheet of paper for your insurances okay? Please pass it around. Ko khun ka."

It was Rhian's first chosen tour, there were only five of them inside the van, her and the two couples having their honeymoon. It wasn't a very nice crowd for a recently divorced but what can I do, it's the only available tour for today and she doesn't seem affected as much as my observation is concerned.

"You want to sit with me in the front?" I offered as I haul the water bottle cooler in the back part of the van where she was seated, isolated from the couples on the first and second rows.

"Aren't you suppose to be sitting there with the driver?" She answered not moving her eyes from the Cuckoo's Calling book she's reading.

"I am the driver. The view's better there." I smiled, as if she could actually see me.

"Thanks but I'm fine here." She declined and I felt a medium size needle prick the lower part of my heart.

"Okay, just tell me if you change your mind." I smiled again before closing the van's back door.

After making sure everything was inside the van and they're all set, I bade goodbye to my mom and dad, and as I slip inside the driver seat I was awed to see her beside me.

"The view is better here and it's less bumpy." She said as she continued reading her book, good thing she wasn't paying attention to me because I was already blushing.

"Yeah, the view is better now." I nodded as I started the engine shortly feeling her look up to me.

"Good Morning again, just some trivia about Chiang Mai, aside from being fondly called as the Rose of the North, Chiang Mai's full name is, Rattana Tingsa Aphi Nawa Puri Si Khuru Rattha Phra Nakhon Chiang Mai." casually said on the loud speaker I heard them giggled and one american guy answered

"Wow didn't know it's that long." The guy laughed and the others did too, so I laughed along.

"Wait 'til you hear the full name of Bangkok." I countered

"Let's hear it." The american guy's wife challenged.

"Alright, in the official English romanisation, this is certified as the longest name of a place in the world by the Guinness book of records..." I explained

"It is alphabetically pronounced something like, Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Ayuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Piman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit." I said and I saw all their wide eyed expression on the small monitor above the steering wheel that was connected to the camera at the back.

"Wow." The Danish guy on the second row uttered.

"Yes, wow. And I had to learn that at my first day in school back in first grade." I joked making them laugh again. All of them are interacting with me, but not Rhian. She's really in depth with her book that's now half finished. And I don't get it, she's on a holiday, she's suppose to be appreciating the new environment she's in, but she chose to be engrossed at some model's death by falling off the building or something.