Sunday's Best (1)

Althea is staring blankly on their wedding photo, slouched on their favorite couch waiting for Batchi to fetch her. She doesn't remember what brought her here in this situation and she doesn't even know how to go on. It's a Sunday, her favorite day of the week, because it's also the day she can spend with her, the love of her life, but now she doesn't know anymore.

Althea heard the doorbell buzzed knowing it was Batchi, she gathered all the strength left in her to stand up and take her coat. This Sunday marks the start of a new beginning for her and a few hours from now she knows she'll be officially alone. Althea wasn't made to be alone, she knows that right from the first time she laid eyes on her, the woman she married after a year of dating and those years for her were the best she'll ever have.

"Exactly three years ago today, we were gathered here to celebrate a union meant to last a lifetime. I apologize to all of you here now, because this isn't the kind of occasion I imagined that will gather us here again. But I guess that's just how life is sometimes. It knocks you up in the most unexpected moment. It was the first day of summer and it was a Sunday when I first laid eyes on her, and that day changed my life since then. She's still the best person I know, my best friend and the love of my life. But I guess God has better plans for her now which I have to learn to accept in the days that'll come. I wouldn't know how I am going to find rest in our room tonight, but this hour is for her." Althea uttered trying all that she can not to ball her eyes out again in front of everybody. Althea made sure her favorite song played on the background as she followed her wife's casket out of the chapel, carried by her father and brother together with her brother and uncle.

I may not always love you
But as long as there are stars above you
You never need to doubt it
I'll make you so sure about it

God only knows what I'd be without you
If you should ever leave me
Though life would still go on believe me
The world could show nothing to me
So what good would living do me

"Are you sure you're gonna be fine here alone?" Batchi asked as Althea swung the door open to her now empty and grey apartment.

"Do you think I should sell this place?" Althea asked not answering Batchi's question

"If it'll help you get through, I can talk to Abby's broker - -"

"I guess not yet."

"Sure, whenever you're ready."

"I'm just lucky she was able to put the adoption on hold before she left me." Althea bitterly laughed as they settle by the kitchen. Batchi didn't answer, she didn't know what to say.

"I wouldn't know what to tell the kid when she asks for her mother - " Althea started and choked halfway, giving away to the buildup of emotions since the funeral. Batchi was quick to get the cup of coffee from her friend's hand to hug her. There's only a few times she saw Althea emotional in the span of 15 years they've been friends. First was when she passed her master's program, second was when her father died, third was when she was awarded the best director award in the Sundance Film Festival for her debut film last year, fourth was when they got married, and fifth was – well now.

"You sure you don't want us to come over tonight?" Batchi asked Althea as she made sure she's got everything she needs from the fridge to the cupboards, Althea can be really absentminded when she's an emotional mess so Batchi should know better.

"Yeah, I'll be fine. I got you guys so I'll be fine." Althea weakly smiled trying to convince Batchi.

"Besides, I guess I really need rest."

"Just call me if you need anything."

"I will. Thank you for today Batch."

"Anytime." Batchi said as she pulled Althea again into a hug before leaving.