The Layover (2)

Paris

Trench coats, furs, leather gloves, boots.

Flight announcer's voice, gates, airport guards, luggage, hand carries, passports, tourists.

Waiting area.

Growing impatience.

Crying kids.

Almost making out couples.

Hipsters look like homeless people with Starbucks cups and a Macbook.

"Don't give me that look." Rhian commented as they waited for Glaiza's siblings.

"What look?" Glaiza playfully denied it as she raised her eyebrow.

"You know that look, Glai." Rhian scoffed, and they broke into giggles.

"Hey you, are we leaving, or are we leaving?" Alcris called out, he's walking ahead of everyone else and you laughed to yourself at the view of him trying to hold all the luggage he can to help everyone as well.

"Right there goes us." Rhian grinned as she jumped up and started to gather her things and you watched her go - like you always do.

+++

"How's work?" It was Glaiza, seeing the slightly darker circles under her girlfriend's eyes. It was a while since the last time they saw each other, approximately four months and 12 days ago. She knew well about the nitty-gritty of everything Rhian is doing with her career, her life. And Glaiza being the way she is feels elated by the fact that they're two perfectly abled people independent of each other who happened to decide and choose each other every single day since the day they met.

It was magic, for both of them. For people who have been in a series of relationships that started conventionally in all aspects of the word and failed. To meet someone in the unlikeliest of ways - unconventional if you may, to seek each other naturally in all aspects of the word and succeed can only be explained by one word - magic.

It's far from perfect though - however, it's not all the time you encounter couples who survive on seeing each other every few months. Glaiza knew that. She was that way before she met Rhian. It's the same reason she was single for a very long time until that fated 2015 day before Christmas.

Life has been good ever since Glaiza took the leap and followed Rhian back to the Philippines. They lived a few months blissed-out basking in the moments of infatuation. And then it happened, the inevitability of wanting to be more than you've accomplished, to be doing more than what you've already done. There was a taunting notion in the back of Glaiza's mind that she has to be someone more. She has to become.

They've visited Glaiza's family four times already, the first was six months after Glaiza and Rhian flew back to the Philippines, the second was for Alcris' wedding, the third was Glaiza's parents' 30th wedding anniversary, fourth this year's New Year celebration.

Every visit was a celebration. Rhian's a little closer to Glaiza's family and it brings Glaiza a different kind of joy. Her family loved the actress and Rhian, bless her heart loves them back tenfold.

"I'm okay, love. Work got a bit busy but I'm just so happy to see you again." Rhian smiled and reached her eyes and Glaiza was able to breathe a little lighter. Glaiza enveloped Rhian in her arms, burying her face on the crook of Rhian's neck, a thing she always does when they're seeing each other again for the first time in months. It was both relaxing and welcoming at the same time.

"No one in the Philippines puts you into unnecessary stress?" Glaiza teased, Rhian silently giggled as they got inside Glaiza's park-and-ride car.

"None since you left for India." Rhian snorted a bit meaning words a little too honestly, Glaiza knew to tread lightly.