Back in Our Time

a/n: heyo a new story here. a product of my fidgety imagination again. sorry to keep you hanging from the girl and starting you with this one. i just have to pen this down so it won't disappear. so please do tell me if i should continue this or not. thanks!

+++

It was the age of automation, the human race has finally grasped the knowledge of living smart above all creatures in the planet, the way they are always meant to be. The year was 3017 exactly a century from the last known backwards year of mankind and everything after that year was vanished. It’s like everybody was woken up and it’s 3017. Everything moves by the slightest tic of the human mind, we all lost the need for manual labor and human-operated factories, the whole process was diverted to robots creating clones and other robots for anything automatic that needs to be done – leaving the humans only one thing to do, nothing.

You wake up in the morning, you have breakfast, go do whatever it is that you needed to do aside from work, you go home and you end your day. It’s became a cycle every human being living in the city has to do, more than not doing anything though, it has become a chore to actually do nothing and think nothing. It was part of their program of total relaxation, you get to leave the daily needs to the automation for a price and then you get the freedom to do whatever it is you wanted to do when on your vacation or holiday. By now you already got what I am trying to talk about, and by that I meant you already know that there’s nothing special about vacation and holiday if you have it for an ordinary day.

I feel like I’m digressing from the life I should be living. It always felt like I was born in the wrong time, that I should be somewhere less robotically controlled, less automatic, less 3017. Less of all these constantly moving, seemingly alive buildings, flying cars, jetpacks and the elixir of humanity. For the record, the discovery of the elixir brought not only life to people who need it, it also gave life to people who no longer wants it. At this time and age, people are literally aren’t allowed to die. Because ones you got contact with the elixir at any amount of it, you are already expected to live forever. Of course there’s not a single way to escape it once you have it in your system, no amount of self harm would do you any good, you’re just going to be hurt for quite a while and then in a few hours or days depending on the severity of the damage you’d be healed before you know it.

The government figured a way to travel to another planet in a speed of light and to terraform them faster than what it has to take back in time. It was an amazing discovery, but it was also destructive and selfish. They send all the older people to their chosen planets and they never came back. I mean, that’s why there’s a certain point where humans have to die right? To give space for something new, not to occupy every single square meter available there is. It’s not the natural cycle, but there’s nothing stopping that now.

“Why do you look sad, honey?” My amazingly postured mother asked as she sat at the head of our table already with her touchscreen controller that easily launched her personal assistant.

“N – Nothing mom, I’m just thinking about things.”

“Is this thing that one you tried to talk to me about yesterday?”

“It’s not just a thing mom.”

“I just can’t think of a single logical reason for this kind of behavior honey, you just turned 18 but you’re not thinking of doing the usual things people your age are thinking of doing.”

“I don’t know mom, it just feel like something I got to do.”

“What? Be away from your mom? You know you’re the only one I got left right sweetie?”

“I know mom, but I won’t be able to forgive myself if I don’t do what felt right for me to do.”

“And if this something fails you?”

“I’ll come back right here and be the usual 18 year old you want me to be mom.”

“Do you really think it’s that easy honey? Don’t you think I’ve tried?”

“You did?”

“Yeah, and I got caught and I almost got evacuated to another planet without my consent if it’s not for the power of your grandfather before I wouldn’t be here.”

“I’m sorry mom.”

“We now live in a perfect world where we’re no longer divided by race, gender or classes honey, it’s the best time to be living your life freely.”

“I’ll only be able to live free, after I get to do this mom you know that. Maybe it was never for you to see him before, maybe it should be me.”

“Fine.” My mom sighed with a hint of resignation she’s never done before, so I waited.

“Mom?”

“Here’s the number and address of your Aunt Althea.”

“Aunt Althea?” I frowned and she gave me her touchscreen where I saw pictures of the woman she was talking about.

“Yeah, she was my best friend from college, we have not talked to each other for years now but I know she’ll still be after that project we started.”

“Can you tell me more about her? Why is this the first time I’m hearing about her mom?”

“Believe me honey this is not the first time I am mentioning her. Your Aunt Althea was a scientist who was exiled in a farm in Iowa, because of her unconventional studies and theories the government wanted to suppress. They wouldn’t want her discoveries be known by the media who would only start a controversy against the government.”

“Not the first time? What do you mean? Meaning her discoveries are that great? They are actually doable?”

“They were. I helped her get started but even before we were able to try it out we got caught. The least your grandfather was able to do for her was to relocate her to Iowa or she’ll end up with the people in B6236.”

“That’s the planet for people with mental health problems mom.”

“She was classified as a degenerate honey.”

“What?! And you actually let that happened?”

“I was still too young and I was also about to have you, I didn’t know what to do.” Mom explained with a pained expression I never saw her have before.

“Mom, District Councilor Amanda Burke are you sure you’re telling me the truth right this moment?”

“Jade Alison Burke.” My mom smiled as she took my hand in hers.

“Mom.”

“I am telling you the whole truth.”

“Do you swear that on your district councilor’s office?”

“I do. You should go visit her and tell her about what you want to happen.”

“What made you think she’ll help me?”

“She was really really fond of you when you were a little.”

“And I was fond of her too?”

“You were. I just don’t know why you seem to have forgotten about her.”

“I’m sorry mom, I just don’t have any memory of her.”

“It’s alright dear. Tomorrow I’ll make arrangements for your departure, you should prepare everything you might want to bring with you. Also study Iowa for tonight too.”

“Thank you mom.”

“Just promise me you’ll come back to me after all of these.”

“I will mom, I promise.” I smiled and she nodded as we heard the honking of her car service.

“I’ll be going now. Just prepare for when you meet her okay?”

“Yes mom I will.” I nodded as I walk her towards the front door which easily slid open towards the front yard of our house.

I spent the rest of my day researching about Doctor Althea Green, but there was not so much information about her and her works in any system, the only thing associated with her name was her exile and her being classified as a degenerate. That afternoon I packed everything I needed for the trip of my life, and when my mom came home she cried and even started persuading me not to go again but she knew better than asking me to stay when she knows pretty well that if she starts being controlling again I might ran away like before.

Exactly 24 hours after my breakfast with mom, I was already five hours on the road to Iowa to meet her best friend. I was assigned my own car and a portable personal assistant I might never have to need in my stay there because the deeper we got to the rough roads, the less I see of the world I came to know. I didn’t know there are still places like this before, mountain ranges, dessert that spans longer than I could measure and small establishments with humans in them. I would’ve stopped to one of them if only my doors are set for unexpected stops but they’re not, they would only open once we arrive at the farm.
You have arrived at your destination.

The car beeped over and over again when I woke up, I actually didn’t realize I had fallen asleep but I guess the desserts were a good way to calm me down enough for me to fall asleep, which never happens in the city. The car rolled in slowly towards the property the moment it’s steel gats opened. I was surprised to see a lovely looking home at the center of the land actually far from the ‘farm’ I imagined it would be. The whole house comprises about half of the plot of land and rises up to fourth or fifth story high. The car honked twice before I saw movements inside the house. The big brown double door opened to an unusually young attractive woman, wearing three-piece corporate clothes.

“Definitely too young to be my mom’s best friend.” I whispered as she tapped on the computer screen on the outside of the car. There was a perplexity on her expression after she finished reading the message mom left. She looked directly to where I was seated like she can see me and my heart started pounding so hard. The woman then tap on the screen again that turned on the green light of my doors. I took a deep breath before stepping out.

“Jade?” The woman asked right away.

“Yes ma’am.” I nodded

“Why are you here for again?”

“I – I wanted to see my dad.”

“Well, he’s not here.”

“But -”

“But what? Your mom told you that I have the answer to everything? Well guess what? I don’t okay. So go back to where you came from and tell your mom thanks for the visit.” She dismissed turning to walk back to her mansion.

“B-but -” I stuttered as I followed her

“What? What do you have to say?” She sharply turned and I was taken a back, her eyes are glassy and darker than I thought they were.

“I travelled all the way to see you.”

“Because you thought I got what you needed. Well, I don’t.”

“My mom has faith in you and I do too.”

“You have faith in someone you don’t even know?”

“So what? I can be over trusting. Just please help me. I’d do anything.” I pleaded

“Anything?”

“Yes anything Dr. Green.”

“Go home.”