One Day For Us (15)

March 2016

Five years, Althea took that long for her to reach out to me, and if I didn't have the courage to run away from the wedding I'd be a month and half married by now with now idea that she's still alive some place else.

It took us five years to finally be able to talk again, and it's making me nervous in the most familiar way. Like how she makes me feel nervous when we were fifteen and innocent, how she makes me feel nervous when we were seventeen where she took my virginity at the back of her truck in the middle of the fields under the stars. That's how nervous I am today while I was waiting for her here at some fancy restaurant at the center of Baltimore.

That night she called we didn't talk right away, she just asked me how I was present tense, she told me about what Megan told her and that she wanted to see me as soon as possible. So we agreed to meet halfway. Now I'm waiting for her, she not late though I was just nervously early. I was excited to see her again but I was also weirdly wishing she'd back out and reschedule our meeting but I'd be really pissed if she does and thankful at the same time. Yeah that's how messed up I am right now and it's all because of this woman who just entered the restaurant, dressed casually with black blazer and slacks, white dress shirt and aviator glasses. Her hair's bobbed and dark brown. She wears no make up and she was looking around for me so I stood up from my chair and she found me instantly.

When she started to make her way towards me it was like the whole world stops and stares at her, she even went slow motion for me as she removed her aviators and smiling widely as she comes closer.

"There you are." Althea said as she reached me by our table for two at the corner. I was dumbfounded when she was already in front of me, everything I was practicing to tell her in front of the mirror this morning vanished and I was speechless. She's as tall as I was, well-built and well-mannered. Far from what I imagined she'd be by now, a rebel or something close to what I heard about her when I came home in Wilmington, a delinquent.

I didn't know how long I was staring at her when I heard her clear her throat. She has her familiar questioning look with an eyebrow raised and I just shook my head and smiled.

"You're still a stuck up." Althea blurted as we sat down facing each other.

"Stuck up huh?" frowned

"How are you?" Althea casually asked like we're just good friends meeting each other after a month or two of being busy with our work and life.

"No let me ask questions today Althea and you'd be the one to answer them all." I seriously said and she knows exactly what I was talking about so she straighten up and nodded.

April 2006

"Althea - -"

"Dad."

"How are you? Megan told me about what your friends did for you today." Dad asked as he sat by one of the patio chair while I sat on the pool side my legs in the water.

"Yeah they did surprise me. Dad I've been thinking - -"

"Whatever it is tell me."

"If I ever get convicted - -"

"Althea - -"

"No dad listen, if I ever get convicted I'd understand if you'd abandon me - -"

"No Althea you listen to me, you're not going to be convicted of something you're clearly innocent of. And we're not abandoning you either way."