The Ringside (5)

"A - - Althea - - hey."

"Hmm."

"A!" Ben shouted throwing one of his gloves at me knocking a bit harder on the back of my head.

"What in the hell Alvez?!"

"I was asking you if we're up for rounds. You got a week to prepare for the three rounder just to remind you. You don't know what Cenon learned from the international team you know?" Ben reminded while we're in the gym.

"Why are you evidently distracted? Is it about work? Is miss Jade giving you a hard time?" Ben seriously asked.

"Oh - - no, she's fine. We're fine. I'm - -"

"Come on A, you can talk to me about it." Ben smiled the kind of smile he's always given me when he's trying to encourage me, the kind of smile I saw when I first came to their gym, the kind of smile I first saw when I woke up in the hospital after my first loss, his kind of smile that says 'come on, you can tell me anything, I ain't going to judge you.'

"There's not much to say, I'm just feeling nervous about the real shoot for the film, haven't done anything like that before you know."

"Damn." Ben cursed as he collapsed beside me laughing so hard it's like I delivered the greatest punch line of my entire life.

"What?" I asked almost irritated about him treating it like a joke.

"Dude I thought your nervous about Cenon or the imminent rematch with Muños. But instead you're seriously worried about acting? I mean come on."

"Seriously Ben?"

"No Seriously Althea, there's not much to be nervous about acting, if anything you should be worried about Cenon on the weekend cause obviously we're running out of time, so get up now and let's have three rounds. You'd be up for an after lunch training with Jade later too right?"

"You think I can pull it off?" I raised an eyebrow at him

"You can and you will. You got Jade there with you, make her an inspiration." Ben winked as he offered his hand to me, which I took he easily pulled me up to my feet as he hand me my gloves.

"For now, focus on beating the shit out of that Cenon on Saturday."

"Right."

"Right."

"Thanks man."

"No worries." Ben nodded as he positioned himself two-arm span away from me.

+++

"Sorry Jade who are we talking about again? Because I kind of lost track somewhere about A being your body double?" Abby protested amidst my blabber about Althea.

We've been talking for almost three hours now, and she should be sleeping especially that it's almost midnight in California where she is right now for a business conference week.

"Yeah, she happens to be my body double, I also learned that she wasn't able to finish her studies because of her dad - -"

"Yeah, I heard mom and dad talking about that when I was in college, something about her father's health. Although I wasn't so sure."

"Oh. Why didn't you tell me about it?"

"Because it wasn't like you actually have to know, and besides you've been really busy Jade. Unbelievably busy that you even forgot about me at some point." Abby said, still a bit upset about me in the past.

"Right - -"

"Hey I didn't mean it that way, it's just, what happened in the past happened for a reason. That's all there is to it. You shouldn't feel bad about something you absolutely have no control of. Why don't you just make up for the lost time anyway?"