One Day For Us (12)

September 18, 2009

"Let's give her a round of applause, our 2009 Shepherd Academy's batch valedictorian! Jade Ramos." Principal Eigenmann announced and I heard the loud applaud of everyone present in our graduation.

I took a deep breath as I stand up and roam my eyes all over the open venue of our graduation in front of St. John's statue, the patron saint of Shepherd Academy. It's like the whole town came here for the graduation, literally because every family have a high school student in their household.

I shakily took the long walk on the red carpet at the center aisle to the stage as I was told to do so. Mom, dad and Nadine were seated on the first row of seats for the guests, Nadine is taking photos of me, dad was all smiles but my mom kept her tight lip almost straight face expression. I shifted my eyes forward, my classmates are looking my way, everyone of them I spent the last three years with.

Sally and Wila are sitting together, while David's on the other side where the boys were. They're all smiling at me, they're happy for me and I know that I should be happy for myself but I can't and I'm not. How am I suppose to be happy when the only person I wanted to hear me deliver my valedictory speech and the only person I dedicate this valedictorian achievement, is the same person who's no longer with us anymore.

I fought hard to keep myself balanced and reserved as I climb the five step stairs up the stage, I was welcomed by the faculty. They each shook my hand and it was time for me to stood behind the podium. I put my cue cards on top of the podium and took a moment to gather my thoughts, and as I look out to the crowd my eyes did a quick one hundred eighty degree pan and spotted the person I was talking about earlier.

April 2006

"Althea."

"Batch."

"We came as soon as we heard the news. What the hell happened?"

"I'm as clueless as you guys. This morning sheriff Galura came inviting me over the station because David's family filed a case against me, they said I possess illegal drugs and of course I assaulted David."

"That jerk."

"And they found a pouch of drug paraphernalia in my locker."

"What?!" Paul exclaimed

"Yeah. I don't know where they get that and how they found that inside my locker but they said they did find it there."

"What did uncle Felix say?"

"We're complying to everything, I'm undergoing a drug test tomorrow."

"Dude, undergoing a test means you're guilty." Gerald shook his head.

"Ge, not undergoing a test means I'm guilty."

"If you're testing, we're testing." Gabriel said pretty determined

"Guys you don't have to, I'm fine."

"No Gab's right, you're testing so we might as well, we can testify about that fucking accusations." Paul said

"Seriously you don't have to - -"

"No they're right, if you're taking that damn test then so are we. We're in this together, we're there last night we can testify." Batchi firmly said

"Thanks guys. I just don't want you getting involved in my troubles you know."

"That's shit. Friends do things together, we're going to do everything about this together." Paul seconded