The Ringside (3)

“Oh Guevarra how’s the work you’re talking about?” Ben my replacement trainer and sparring partner after dad took his leave asked as soon as I enter his father’s gym.

“Piece of cake, though the actress that Jade Henares is one hell of a control freak.” I said removing my leather jacket and hanging it by the wall hooks.

“Oooh feisty, exactly sounds like the woman for you eh?” Ben teased; he’s been my friend since I became part of their gym and amateur fighters group. There are only three people who knew my sexuality, there’s dad, Batchi and Ben. But Ben’s the most vocal about it, I tend to shove a towel up his mouth or knee him on his stomach just to shut him up sometimes.

“Shut up Ben, let’s just do some rounds.” I said opening my locker and getting my training clothes and gloves.

“You sure? By the way I heard Cenon’s back, and looking for you.” Ben said as he followed me to the changing room stopping by the door.

“What about her?”

“You know that bitch is still hoping to kick your ass right? You know after the draw.”

“Is there any offer yet?”

“I heard dad talking to her coach this afternoon over the phone, said there’s three hundred thousand at stake knowing she’s now part of the international team as a spare.”

“Isn’t she suppose to stop playing on the amateurs now that she’s part of the international team? This can cause her disqualification right?” I asked as I got out of the changing room.

“That’s why the stakes are too high my friend. No outside audience just the ones who’s going to top up on the bet. So you could say no one knows about this certain game.” Ben said as he put on his protective gears and I do my stretching.

“When is this happening by the way?”

“Two weeks from now.”

“Isn’t that too short for preparation?”

“It’s just a five round fight so it’s pretty cramped and circuited.”

“Did your dad already agree?” I asked as I got inside the ring with him.

“He haven’t made a decision cause I’m pretty sure he wants to talk to you about it first, you know dad has always been considerate of all his fighters.” Ben smiled as he raised both his hands with the punching gear.

“That’s why he’s dad’s best friend.” I agreed as we started on round one.

+++

“So how’s the body double?” Uncle Ronnie asked while we’re having dinner with his family.

“She’s pretty strong and well-built although I really think she’s too slender for an MMA fighter even if she’s just an amatuer.” I commented

“I heard Mark talking to Batchi after you left, Batchi said she already contacted another probable body double for you?”

“They’re up for audition I guess.” I pretend I didn’t now what’s up and Uncle Ronnie just looked at me like he knows what happened although he’s not up for scrutiny.

After our dinner, I drove home. By home I mean my childhood home, where dad, mom and me used to live. When mom and uncle Oscar decided to migrate to Australia two years ago, mom thought of selling the house but then I stood my ground and gave up my condo just to save the last tangible thing my father have left for me. I’ve also learned to embrace solitude in the years that passes that even though I always come home to no one but our house helper and driver for ten years manang Patty and mang Bogart, I felt fine with it.

When I got inside the house I heard my phone rang, it’s my mother.

“Hello mom?”

“Hi hija, how’s work today? Your uncle Ronnie told me about your latest project and your pursuit of finding a body double.”

“Yeah that, we’re still on the look out for the perfect fit."I alibied shredding my clothes as I entered my room.

“How are you guys there?” I asked as I lie down on my bed.