22nd Florists Avenue

We didn't have the best first meeting in the history of first meetings ever; it was both very embarrassing and unlikely at the same time but, I know I wouldn't have it any other way. You see I've always believed that everything that's happening in my life is something meant to happen at the right place and at the right time. Say, if I got that job offer from my dream consultancy firm before I accepted being an Engineering 101 instructor in my stepsister's alma mater then I may not have stumbled in that fated class on my first day of teaching and met her. Nothing of that may have happened if Gordon, Hewitt & Denver's called me for the job offer of a lifetime a week earlier. But you know what? I never regretted accepting the offer of teaching soon-to-be engineers even though she was an Economics major. It was fate that worked there, my fate. I was fated to embarrass myself in front of her to make an impression and guess what, it was a painfully good first impression after all.

It was the last month of summer; you see I've been unemployed for a few months now since I came here in New York to live with my stepsister, her boyfriend for nine years and two of her other friends in their New York dream apartment. At first it was fine, adjustment and settling in period, the second month was blending in with the locals, third month was my stepsister reminding me that it's okay and that I shouldn't worry about figuring everything out right away because she's got my back like we've always do since we were eight. But in the fourth month I was desperate, I felt like my degree isn't helping me get the life I want and I know one more month of New York minute, I would surely be needing intervention.

"Problem Jade? It's too early to mope around." Jaime asked while I was slouched in front of my coffee mug on the kitchen table.

"It's been three days since my interview with Gordon, Hewitt and Denver's and they still hasn't called." I explained, Jaime offered a small smile as he sat in front of me, Jaime is my sister's boyfriend he's an environmental lawyer and if I can describe him with just one word, I would say perfect. He's everything my dad never was, and I'm so glad for Nadine that she has him in her life.

"You know it's never easy Jade, sure New York's booming with skyscrapers and towers of empires of businesses and what not but their standards too are as high as their skyscrapers and towers. I'm not saying you can't qualify for any of those empires but you also got to earn qualifications. You know I once spent half of the year bumming on you sister's couch before I got a decent paying job and I realize it's okay if your first job offer wouldn't give you a six-digit-salary right away, just as long as you're learning from it and it helps you grow as a person and as a professional." Jamie mentored as he was stirring his coffee and checking the headlines of today's paper.

"Thanks Jamie, really need that." I smiled as I drank the rest of my coffee.

"You're welcome Jade, just remember your sister and I are here to support you." Jamie nodded sounding more like a dad instead of a soon-to-be brother-in-law.

"I think I'm gonna make that call." I declared just in time Nadine came in from the living room.

"Awesome! Finally!" She cheered messing with my hair as she rounded the table to her seat.

"I'm sure Abby would be thrilled to hear from you." She added as she sits beside Jamie.

"Thank you guys, don't know what would happened to me if it weren't for you two."

"Now don't be so sentimental my pre-school kids are good at catching cry babies." Nadine teased and we laughed.

That morning after they left for work I called Abby, Nadine's college friend who's now looking for a replacement instructor because she's soon going to tie the knot with her long time girlfriend Batchi and moving to Canada so they can both manage their business.