One Day For Us (7)

March 2006

"So how's school? Megan told me you're working on a project with Jade Ramos in literature?" Dad asked while I was washing my car.

"Yep. School's the same." I shortly answered as he help me soap Miggy up.

"Be nice to her okay? She's new in town. And keep her safe as much as possible, especially when she's with you." Dad reminded, this is what I love about my father, he knows when to wash my car with me and when talk to me about things I will listen and take note of. We can be calm around each other most of the time, until he'll start pushing Megan to me again.

"Dad please, we're both fifteen, we can do the same things." I rolled my eyes at him as I sprayed water all over Miggy.

"Still I know you're far more mature than your age. I trust you." He said more seriously

"Thanks I guess?" I snorted

"You know the Limjocos?" Dad asked

"Yeah, their son's the new kid in school, girls want him cause he's rich, boys wants to beat him, cause he's douchey." I answered.

"His father's pestering me in the office - -" Another trait I love about my dad is that, he talks to me like I'm an adult most of the time, he doesn't have much buddies here in Wilmington because he grew up in Raleigh, the capital where granny and pop is staying until now. So when he have something bothering him, he mostly talks with Megan or me. But before Megan, there's just dad and me.

"What does he want?" I raised an eyebrow

"He wants to build a governing body over the cottage industry just so he could profit from the owners' incomes."

"Why don't he just build his own? He won power ball. He's got the money. And even though he doesn't build one he can slack off and use all his winnings until he retire."

"I don't know really. And - -" Dad stalled.

"And what dad?" I asked looking at him straight, and I saw traces of doubt and worry in his eyes.

"He's quite aggressive about it, if I don't back him up, he said he'll run for office next election and then start the business. I know the owners wouldn't like his idea, I mean who would want a businessman monopolising the business they put up themselves right?"

"Then don't dad. You're the governor for a reason election's three years away still."

"What do you think should I do if he continues to pester me?"

"File a case? Contempt? Bribery? Obstruction?"

"That'll be David versus Goliath dear."

"Good example dad, he's Goliath, you're David. And you know pretty well how that story ended right? Come on. You're in power, use it against those who's planning to harm the people you govern and care about, your family and friends. That's what a public official should be doing right? Help and protect." I encouraged, I heard him laugh and saw him shook his head.

"I really think you should run for office too."

"No dad. You're not going to sales talk me your old governor's office."

"You're good at thinking about complex issues, problem solving and what not you know. Like your mother, she sales talked me into politics, when she knew she's better at it than I am."

"That sounds exactly like mom." I nodded

"And you're looking more like her every day that passes." Dad revered