One Day For Us (2)

March 2006

"What an asshole." I scoffed as I enter the café, part of the bed and breakfast cottages.

"Who's an asshole?"

"Sorry dad, just some reckless driver along the highway, please don't tell mom."

"By reckless driver you mean that rusty Chevy parked haphazardly by my parking lot?" Dad raised an eyebrow at the car outside

"Yeah, almost hit me. So please don't tell mom. I don't want to ride the bus to school." I pleaded and my father just laughed at me.

"This'll be our little secret if you'd serve customers this afternoon until we go home?"

"Dad really?"

"Really really. Or I could drop mom a voice mail instead?"

"Alright alright I'm going! God you're blackmailing me." I playfully rolled my eyes at him, he just shuffled my hair and pushed me to take orders. I adore both my parents. But between mom and dad, I've always adored my father more; I'm a proud daddy's girl. He's just more understanding and accepting on things about us his daughters. While mom's the typical commander in the house and we're all under her command.

Tough luck is there's just one more customer who hasn't ordered yet and that's her, Althea.

"Hi. What are you having?" I placidly asked and she darted her scowl at me.

"You work here? Aren't you too young to wait tables? Does my dad - - oh wait never mind." She suddenly husked, mumbling the last part about her father. I think she's asking if his father allowed a minor to work for the cottage industry now.

"I'm just helping my dad." I answered, and she nodded right away.

"Right, well I'm new so I guess you could just get me anything decent on the menu. And serve it by the beach front. Thanks." She said before grabbing her keys and pack of cigarette and getting up from her spot.

She freely walked out people are looking at her, older people murmuring something inaudible for me but they're shaking their heads in disappointment and/or disapproval. She sat by one of the empty tables without an umbrella and she slouched deeper wearing her hood again.

"Daddy do we have any special?"

"Yes dear, by the back of the menu why?"

"Althea - - she doesn't know what to order so she said I could just get her anything decent."

"That girl is really a waste, unrestrained - -"

"Dad, order please?"

"I'm sorry dear, I'm just a bit concerned a girl like that's always around you in school."

"I'm fine that, I can take care of myself." I smiled

"Alright, I'll get her order now."

"Thanks dad."

"Here's your order, en - -"

"Do you know what it's like to be free?" Althea blurted as I put her order in front of her.

"Uhh - -"

"Freedom, from pain, from earthly needs, from judgement?" She revered staring blankly to the horizon.

"I - - uhh are you talking to me?" I hesitated, and she instantly sarcastically chuckled.

"Who else? Dumbass. Get lost now, you're not good at conversations." Wow. For someone who's always zoning out in class, who's always absent, and merely passing the mark, I guess. Here she is lecturing me how to converse and calling me dumbass for the fourth or fifth time just this afternoon.