One Day For Us (1)

February 2016

"Jade?"

"Hmm?"

"Jade - - You gotta answer - -"

"What?"

"Jade you have to say I do, this is the part where you need to answer babe."

"No - -"

"Babe, Jade what are you saying?"

"No, no David. I don't want this, I'm so sorry - - I'm so so sorry, I can't do this."

"Jade!"

"Jade!"

"That's it?"

"What do you mean that's it?"

"You dropped David just like that? After years of on and off and months of planning the wedding? The biggest wedding in all the history of people getting married in your family?!"

"I can't do it - -"

"Well you should've thought about that before all these mess. I couldn't believe you ranaway just like that, left him at the altar."

"What would you rather have me doing? Wait for divorce?"

"Crazy bitch. You should've said no right from the start. What are you planning to do now?"

"I don't know, just lay off and look for her?"

"Seriously? Oh who am I kidding of course, it's still her after all these years."

"Yes, and I'm still hoping one day we will."

March 2006

It was the summer of 2006 when I first laid eyes on Althea Guevarra, she was the most attractive son-of-a-gun in our two horse town back in Wilmington, North Carolina. She's the governor's only daughter, the troublesome babe, cigarette-smoking-alcohol-drinking-condom-hoarding young woman, but also the coolest, smartest and bravest I've known.

But of course I didn't know these facts at first, we're migrants from the Philippines, dad's giving a shot to the bed and breakfast cottage industry by the beach, with his best friends. My mother's a strict community college professor, and a member of the only Christian church in our town. So every Sunday our family attends the mass, me and my sister is always expected to dress appropriately.

While Althea, well she's a free spirit, she wears what she wants, goes wherever and whenever she wants to and she curses most of the time. I first saw her across our house one afternoon, shouting curses to her mom, or the woman later on I learned to be her step-mother.

She's fond of wearing hoodies and muscle tee just either of the two, a day or two old ripped skinny jeans, and her worn-out chucks. She drives a 1968 Chevy truck, the coolest Chevy in our small gated village. Coolest mainly because it's only 1960s modelled car around the block.

Althea never smiles, she snarls to people blocking her way, a permanent scowl's sketched on her face and doesn't talk much though she curses all the time. She goes to the same school as mine, mainly because there's only one high school near our village and all the kids go there; and everyone of them in school fears her not only because she's the daughter of the governor but also because of her temperament.

"What's with that Althea? What's her deal?" I asked Sally my new best friend, the daughter of one of my father's best friends.

"Well, for starter's she's hot." Sally blurted shameslessly, see my point? Althea can do nothing or do trouble but everybody likes and dislikes her at the same time.

"Sally really?" I rolled my eyes at her, it's only been a week since I start school here and I only saw Althea came in to class twice or thrice the whole week.

"But seriously is she not?" Sally seriously asked me.

"I don't know, I'm not paying much attention to her, and besides how can you pay attention to someone who isn't around much?"

"Whatever Jade, you talk too much you know? Do you really wanna hear the gossips about her and her family?"

"Are they that bad?"

"Gossips so they're negative duh?" Sally said a-matter-of-factly, this is what I mostly hate about her sometimes, she's too straight forward and doesn't care much if she hurt someone's feelings or not.

"Okay okay, let's hear it." I gave up and she leans closer to me while we watch Althea who's in the far back of the cafeteria, she's just seating there, with her earphones on most of the time, and her daily ration of nutrition is a bowl of strawberries and blueberries or slices of apple and a 16 ounce milk carton.

"Right okay, so according to what I've heard to mothers talking every after Sunday mass, her dad was an ex-US Marine, who finished his degree in law in the Philippines, there he met Althea's mom, they got married shortly after he graduated law because he's service was needed by the Marines again, until later in 1990. He retired when Althea was born, and moved here where he opened his doors to politics."

"But I saw her mother yesterday, she's brunette and young looking?"

"She's not Althea's mother, she's Alcris'. Her mother died when she was ten for some unknown reasons." Sally explained, and I noticed Althea gather her things and put her tray back. She's slouching a bit, she instantly puts back her hood once she walked out to the exit facing the track and field oval.

"So that's why she's rebellious?" I asked

"Students around sais she's like that because her dad's powerful, others said it's because she's into drugs, still others said she's just angry about everything in general because she doesn't know why her mother died. She even tried commiting suicide by jumping off the cliff by the beach two years ago."

"Wow."

"Yeah, wow."

That afternoon I rode my bicycle to dad's cottages by the Wilmington beach, I was freely cruising by the side of the road when I rushing car passes by me so close she almost hit me, so I lost my balance and fell over the white sands. The car screeches a few feet away from me and stopped.

The driver slip out of the car and walked to my way and that's only then I realized that the rusty black Chevy is familiar and that hooded figure is too.

"Why are you counterflowing in a highway huh?! I almost hit you dumbass!" Althea boomed while I was dusting my clothes off.

"What?! You call me what?!"

"Dumbass. Cause if you're not one you'd be driving on the right side of the road!"

"If I'm dumb you're dumber! You're driving 70 kilometers on a 40 kilometer zone and a sharp curve!"

"Are you hurt?" she suddenly asked in a lower town.

"What?!"

"Psh! Dumb and deaf. I was asking you if you're hurt! Jesus."

"No! And why do you care?"

"I don't I'm just making sure you're not going to tell the police about what happened here. Ciao." She blurted before turning her back to me and walking back to her car.

It was the summer of 2006 when I first laid eye on Althea Guevarra, the troublesome babe, the do-no-good-daughter, and the future love of my life.

a/n: to continue or not to continue? XD