We've Been Everywhere

“Hello love? Yeah I’m already here at the café, where are you?”

“Okay love, I’m on my way just fixed something in the academy and the studio. See you in a bit.”

“Okay, be safe.”

“Yeah. Love you. Bye.”

“Love you too.”

By the way that was my wife Glaiza, while I was teaching my last class of applied math she called me with certain urgency in her voice, not the bad kind but more of the excited kind and I wondered why so I immediately left work to meet her here in our favorite café.

I’m Rhian, a 27 years old applied math professor at the New York University. I finished my masters back when I was 25 and I just recently acquired my doctorate last year all with the help of Glaiza.

We met back in high school in the Philippines, her parents are both working here in New York as financial advisors to two different businesses while she chose to finish her high school there because of me.

You see, I never came to know who my father was, my mother used to tell me that he just disappeared when I was born, other times when she’s really upset she would tell me that he’s already dead so I don’t really know what to believe in the different versions of her story.

My mother died because of breast cancer when we’re in our third year and I was left alone. It was the same year Glaiza’s parents told her that they’re already fixing the necessary documents for her to leave for New York with them the day after our graduation.

It was a very unlikely set up actually, no it was really unfortunate because I was lost. More than lost there’s no one I could ask for help to. But while I was being problematic about how I am going to deal with life after Glaiza leaves, Glaiza was actually planning of something far beyond what I could have imagined.

Glaiza bravely asked her parents to have my documents fixed as well and for them to sponsor my stay in New York. I never knew how her parents initially reacted on that but then two days before our graduation her parents came home to Glaiza and I in their house with nothing but hugs, legal documents and passports we’re set to use three days after.

Everything after our graduation happened so fast and the next thing I knew Glaiza was tagging me along to the new senior high school on our first day. That was day that I promised myself to her, although we were never sure of what our future held before we’re sure of one thing, each other.

And her parents saw that I’m sure, they saw us everyday and we never heard a word of protest. If you were on my situation I’m sure you would’ve wondered how in the hell are they cool with their daughter persuading them to take another girl with them when they migrate right? I mean it’s unnatural, it’s not what you expect from your only daughter but then I guess, they are that type of genuinely kind individuals you just don’t know where their kindness came from, as simple as that.

While I was studying to be a professor at Brown University, Glaiza ventured out in the scene of film making at the New York Film Academy she focused on directing and cinematography, which led her out to the world. She was able to travel through out the different parts of America north and south because of her works, which were consistently acclaimed at different collegiate film making festivals.

Until she graduated as the batch’s cum laude and the academy somewhat somehow didn’t want to let her go cause they instantly offered her a full scholarship for her masters while she works as a part-time instructor for students from first year to fourth year. Her subjects ranges from the art of film making, cinematography and composition, directing and acting and of course story and scriptwriting.