The Ringside (6)

"Hey." I greeted Jade as I reach her by the playground. She's happily seating on one of the swings with her bag occupying the other one beside her, far from the frantic girl over the phone this morning.

"Hi. What's up with you?" Jade asked as I took her bag and sat on the swing beside her.

"What's up with you? What's the rush?" I frowned as she snatched her bag from me, opening it to a paper bag.

"I got you this."

"What's this?"

"Food. Healthy food. You look like you're not eating that much. So I threw you in to mom's meal plan for the week." She winked

"And your mom allowed it?" I snorted knowing how much of a frugal control freak her mom is.

"Hey be nice. She's my mom and she knows better than to let Abby's mom know that she's not taking part for the greater good." Jade laughed as well.

"Right. I know how much Abby's mom would look her in the eyes with utmost sincere forgiveness." I laughed.

"That sounds exactly like Abby's mom." She nodded.

"But hey, thank you. You know you don't have to do this." I nodded as I examine what's inside the paper bag. Jade playfully pushes herself for a slight swing.

"I know that pretty well." Jade shrugged.

"What do you want in return?" I asked munching on a breadstick.

"I want to learn self defense."

"Right. Later after I have my breakfast." I scoffed making her laugh again.

"Eat away A." Jade eagerly smiled as she continued to swing higher.

"Thanks Jayjay."

"What's with my new nickname?"

"Nothing just for it to rhyme with mine." I winked making her blush.

...

"Ready?" A smiled when I reached her by the gates of our small-gated community. I frowned at her choice of transportation and she laughed.

"What is so funny?" I asked slightly irritated cause I know she's laughing at the perplexity of my expression.

"Haven't you ridden one before?" She raised her eyebrow insultingly. I looked at her scooter and shook my head.

"Nope. Because my mother would berserk for sure."

"Would you rather walk?"

"Are we gonna get hailed by an MMDA because you're driving a scooter without license?"

"Jayjay, we're just gonna watch my father fight twenty blocks away from these gates, there's no MMDA around as far as I can see." I assured as I give her another safety helmet that she reluctantly put on.

"My mother's gonna kill me." Jade worried looking behind her like her mother's going to magically appear any minute from now.

"Like I said we can just - -" I started but even before I was able to complete my sentence Jade was already behind me her arms tightly belted around my waist and I can't help but laugh.

"Why do you look like we're gonna jump twenty floors down?"

"Geronimo?" Jade forced to joke despite being scared.