One Day For Us (10)

March 2016

"Hello mom?"

"Jade, are you free today?"

"Bianca and I are on the way home now why?"

"Can we talk?"

"Are you around here somewhere?"

"I'm in front of your house actually."

"Oh, why didn't you tell me ahead of time?"

"It wasn't planned. Just get here will you?"

"Okay mom, be there in 30."

"Aunt Amanda?"

"Ahuh. Said she wants to talk."

"Maybe she'll drag you back home again and force you to marry David again."

"Oh goodness I hope not."

Traffic wasn't too heavy so we reached my house earlier than expected, I saw mom's car parked right in front of the gates, Bianca just dropped me off since she lives a few blocks away from me. I walked straight to mom's car and knocked, she unlocked the doors and I got in.

"You wanted to talk?" I started placidly not looking at her.

"Let's talk somewhere else." Mom said as she started the engine and roll of the side parking.

We were silent the whole time she's looking for a Starbucks. I know mom wasn't happy about what happened a month ago, the mess I made wasn't what she expected to be done by one of her daughters and I can sense the hostile aura she has right now.

We stopped by a Horton's since that's the only café available around the area. She took her bag and got out of the car soon as she killed the engine and I dutifully followed her. We ordered the same Americanos and sat by the less crowded part of the café.

"What is it mom?"

"You have no plan of explaining things to me anymore Jade?"

"There's not much to say mom, that's not the life I want, not the life I imagined myself living forty to fifty years from now."

"And what do you imagine your life be? Be with that woman?" Mom said in a hard tone, with the bitter after taste of the indirect mention of Althea.

"I imagine my life to be mine mom, not planned by you or anybody else, I want to live a happy life because of all my own decisions. It doesn't have to concern Althea anymore, it's all about me, I'm an able adult and I know what I want and I don't want now. That's what I want you to know, to realize and to accept." I said without buckle and for the first time in my whole existence I felt empowered. My mother sighed and took something out of her bag.

"I found this while I was cleaning your room the day before your wedding. You left it under your mattress." Mom said as she put a inch thick old looking dust stained book. And I knew pretty well what it was. It's our book.

"That's mine." I said

"I know, and I'm sorry because I've read it. Your adventures together since you're fifteen, the day you met again when you're seventeen, the day you served her coffee when you're eighteen, and all the other days you two met until five years ago. I've read it all Jade - -" Mom said in the softest tone I ever heard her use and then she was tearing up.

March 2006

"Jade your dad's awake and is looking for you." Mrs. Ramos said while Jade and I are having coffee in the hospital canteen. I nodded at Jade telling her that she should go and she smiled before standing up and walking to her mother.