Sunday's Best (2)

"Turn the TV off and go fix your things in your room." Althea barked as she noticed Harper still watching the television at ten in the evening.

She survived the first day with Batchi's help all through out, it was Batchi who attended to the kid from shopping for everything she's going to need for the whole week, to entertaining her until dinner. You can say Batchi is a really great mother figure, well her son Mason is a proof of her awesome parenting anyway. By the time Batchi has to leave, Althea was almost at the brink of pleading her to stay over the night because she has no idea how to deal with Harper alone. You see, with Batchi around she can just pretend to take a call from work, watch from afar and just pay for whatever the kid wants or needs. She doesn't have to interact but without Batchi she'll be left with her own devices and she knows it's going to be a bad idea.

"Just a few more minutes please?"

"No. Go to your room and fix your things." Althea said in a slightly higher tone eliciting a bit of shock from the kid who instantly followed suit to what she was asked to do. She turned the TV off and silently walked out of the living room head bowed down.

Althea then walked towards the kitchen to find another bottle of vodka or any alcohol she can consume before she loses her mind. It's funny how a year ago she was actually sure she's ready to have kids. Everything's well planned out, they're going to adopt and wish they'd be given a girl. They're going to enroll her at Althea's elementary school that's exactly six blocks away from their apartment and ten blocks away from Kathleen's restaurant and Althea's office. They're going to go to excursions every weekend and spend most of their time together as much as possible.

"Hello?"

"Hey, how are you two?"

"She's fixing her things in her room."

"Aren't you going to help her?"

"Batch, I don't know. Every time I see her I feel this sting of being betrayed."

"Althea - -"

"We talked about putting the adoption off the moment she was diagnosed, but she didn't listen to me."

"Remember when I asked if you're really ready to have kids?"

"That was a year ago Batch."

"It doesn't change the fact Althea, you were ready – you should still be ready."

"Well maybe I thought I was ready because Kathleen was so ready okay?"

"Oh Althea, come on. She's yours now. Try to at least be the mother you thought you might be if K's around."

"That's going to be tough, I never imagined having to mother a child without her."

"Well now you will Althea, and you're not just going to imagine it. You're actually doing it, Kathleen did this on purpose and that purpose is for you to become the mother she's always seen in you. Promise me you'll reach out to her okay?"

"I don't know Batch, I'm tired. I'll talk to you tomorrow."

"I'll give you time. Goodnight."

"Goodnight."

Althea put the empty bottle away, turned off all the lights and made sure the doors and windows are locked before she made her way towards rooms. It was midnight, but before she retire in her own room she peeked inside Harper's expecting the chaos of the paper bags and plastic packaging all over the place but there was none. Everything's organized from the shelves to the drawers. The paper bags are piled beside the trashcan under the study table and just before she closes the door behind her again, she remembered how Kathleen would always make sure everything's in place around their house before and it pains her again. That night, just like the nights before she cried herself to sleep.