The One Once Loved (2)

"Jade, come with me I'll show you the only perk of being my apprentice for the next 3 months." Althea said as she entered the kitchen, her hair is pulled up in a loose bun, at least she's wearing something now, a knitted cardigan over a white fitted tank top and relaco pants. Damn, she's hot.

I scrambled to follow her out of the kitchen when Kathleen nodded that I should. I was sleepless last night, the thought of her wanting to paint me naked kept me up until I passed out around three in the morning.

I found her waiting for me by the foot of the stairs, iPhone at hand she's frowning and shaking her head. She instantly put her phone by the counter against the stairs when she felt my presence and nodded for me to follow her upstairs.

The second level of the house was consisted of four bedrooms, the biggest one is Althea's, which opens to the wide veranda overlooking the front yard and rounding until the back porch with the lake view. The room next to Althea's was locked and was labeled 'back sides'. Then there's the mini library with Kathleen's office and bed and then there's mine the entertainment room, because there was where the 72" television was situated.

Althea stopped by the room with the 'back sides' label and pulled a key from her pants' pocket, she slowly turned the locks and the heavy door creeks open, the room was sun filled.

"Welcome to the back sides, that's how I collectively call them." She said stepping aside to let me in first. I hesitated at first but she looked at me funny so I forced myself not to act any more awkward.

I walked passed her and entered the huge room, and my eyes almost bulge out to series of canvases, the small and medium ones are hanged against the wall while the large ones are carefully stacked on one side.

"Wow." I blurted as I take in the huge number of works she already have.

"These are the totality of my works." she said standing distant by the door

"Will you tell me the titles and their stories?" I said almost like a child asking for another scoop of ice cream

"Of course, that's part of the perk, let's start with that one..." she said a matter-of-factly pointing to one of the biggest canvas in the room it covered half of one wall.

"I call that, 'The Inventor'." Althea said, the painting stood about ten feet tall, it shows the back of a man surrounded by steam punk machines, he's wearing a stained white dress shirt lousily tucked in his black pants and he's sporting a suspender, he's focused on something on the level of his crotch but the thing he's working on was covered by his body, his right hand was raised holding a steel mallet.

"I painted that when I was in my junior year in college, my first large canvas." She added

"What was he inventing?" I asked not taking my eyes off the man.

"I painted that when I had my first heart break, she cheated on me. She was good at making excuses, weaving believable stories and delivering flowery words."

"But that is a man."

"That's a simple gender swap, Jade. Look behind you..." she said and when I did, I saw another ten foot tall canvas, with the same scene as 'The Inventor' only now he's facing me, he's left hand was bleeding tightly clutching on a metal human heart, his right arm was still raised high, but what caught my attention was the metal table behind him, where a robotic looking woman was laid lifeless.

"I call this, 'The Invention'." She said and I instantly get it.

"You were the robot on the table behind him?" I asked