The Girl (3)

I wear my heart on my sleeve

Show you who I really am

Tell the world what, what you really mean

I want you to do the same

Coz I know that you got that something

Something that you'd like to be found

You don't have to hide your real self

Coz with me everything's gonna be fine, fine, fine

Show me girl, show me who you really are

Show me girl

"Hi I'd like two caramel macchiato and two ham and cheese Danish please." I greeted the counter lady as we step up for our orders. Rhian was behind me and I was already feeling conscious of my grammar or my posture or whatever it is we might talk about when we sit down face to face in our table.

For the record, it's not like I've never dated anyone before but I met most of the women I dated in the past in bars, events, and parties and those kinds of places meant only one thing – booze. Don't get me wrong I'm not an alcoholic, it's just that it's always been easier for me to talk to strangers when there's even a tiny bit of alcohol in my system. It releases my mind from overthinking everything there can be overthought about. So you can say I'm a meet-cute-coffee-shop-first-date virgin and she can't know about it cause then that might leave a bad impression.

We sat by one of the available tables closest to the mural at the back of the café, which I believe was painted using coffee bean extracts and powder. Rhian sat in front of me the mural behind her, the lighting and the backdrop actually made it a bit hard to concentrate without suggesting I take picture of her and so I did and she started to look at me funny or like I'm a psycho.

"Just one, please?" I pleaded and she was lightly shaking her head with that adorable smile of hers.

"Fine Glaiza, just one." Rhian gave in and I instantly took the automat lying on top of her sling bag. I looked through the viewfinder and found the perfect framing but just as I was about to push the shutter button Rhian lifted her coffee cup covering half of her face.

"That's cheating! You told me I can take one!" I protested and there's that shake of her head and silly adorable smile again. When the film developed into her image I realized it wasn't such a bad shot after all because even though the cup was covering half of her face, her eyes were smiling and they're beautiful.

We fell silent again after my failed attempt to immortalize her smile on film and my overthinking taunted me to say something. She was starting to fidget in her chair so I figured we've been silent for quite long and so I did the first thing that popped into my mind. I stood up, walked towards the counter and when Lykes saw me approaching she smiled to my direction waiting for me to say something.

"Can I have four extra tissue papers please?" I smiled, she nodded at once and fish for the tissue from the below drawer.

"Here Glaiza." She smiled as she handed me what I asked for

"Thank you Lykes." I nodded before turning back to see Rhian who was already looking at me.

"I thought you're leaving." She snorted when I sat in front of her again

"What? No. I just thought of a good ice breaker."

"That includes a bunch of tissue papers?"

"Yeah, that includes a bunch of tissue papers." I said dividing the pieces of paper between us before fishing for pens inside my laptop bag.